Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 450 City Passion Drivers Door Jammed.

For my 2002, 599cc, RHD, Petrol, City Passion -
    Recently started up the car in freezing weather in order to defrost the windscreen. Shut both doors and left engine running on idle for 10 minutes.
    On return, found that both doors had self-locked so couldn't get into car. Keys were obviously inside, still in ignition, with engine running.
    Had to use the "break-in" method (won't go into full details) but had to use a coat-hanger to access and push down the door lock solenoid, as my fingers are too stubby.
    This worked, and I was able to open both doors again.
    However, next morning, on using the remote to unlock the car, the passenger door opens and shuts ok, but the driver's side exterior handle is jammed and won't move to open the door from the outside.
    I accessed the car using the passenger side door, but the driver side interior handle, although working (plus the bowden cable seems fine as when I pull the handle to 'open', I can hear the latch in the actual main door handle lock assembly click), but this won't open the door from the inside either.
    Obviously I can't remove the door lock assembly to examine it, as the actual door won't open, so...
    Did I damage the door lock solenoid when I used the coat hanger to unlock the car? Could it be stuck in the 'down' position, and if so, would it cause this problem?
    Or could it be the latching assembly itself?
    What is the easiest way to access the door lock assembly and possibly remove it- is it by removing the interior door panels, or via the exterior panels, bearing in mind the door won't open either method.
    To make matters worse, some previous owner might have had a similar problem, as I noticed the T25 screws securing the interior handle, have both been rounded off, probably by him/her trying to remove them using a Philips screwdriver!
    Anyone any advice, or had a similar problem? Thanks.

Why did you "break in" to your car when all you needed to do was grab the spare key and open it that way?

Comment

I wonder why did car lock you out with key inserted and engine running.

Comment

Should have left the rear hatch ajar, car would still have warmed up but wouldn't have mattered that the doors self lock. Does sound like you have damaged the door lock / latch part. Does the interior door handle actually feel like it is moving anything in the door lock? Is it still freezing weather - maybe warming everything up will allow you to push the door open from the inside if the handle works. You could always try your "break in" method again.

John

Comment

Did you prepare the winter for the car?
          Cable cleaning and lubrication is essential in the case presented.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X