Windscreen wash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen wash

I use a windscreen wash solution for winter.
    The manufacturer guarantees that it does not freeze up to -20C but at -5C crystallizes on the surface of the windshield - we probably used a counterfeit product.
    I bought De-ice LM that did not freeze on the windshield to -9C. https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P001...cer-8.0-en.pdf
    At -14C ready! , finished with good - frozen the windshield shortly after leaving.
    Can they be counterfeit products (even all?).
    I want to find details from somewhere else. So now I think it's natural to freeze. What is written on the product are only stories.

I agree. Tested two brands of washer fluid today. One rated at -2 C the other rated at -10 C. Both were frozen rock hard at - 5 C. Both turning slushy at - 3 C so the first fluid is ok.
    At this time of the year I carry a hand pump spray bottle with washer fluid. Stored in the house normally so will be at room temperature.

Comment

By the way some of the premixed washer fluids only contain blue colouring and water.

Comment

Keep in mind that the heat is rapidly absorbed by the cold air.
        I left overnight samples of various products outside (at -10C). There was perfect liquid, no crystals!
        Before '89 there were none.
        We used alcohol with water. In the spring, we lubricated the rubber parts involved with glycerin.
        The warming up of the liquid can be done with the thermal motor (OM660).
        Warming the windscreen with air cuffs is another option.
        Unfortunately, the OM660 only gets warm on the road, and the clear windshield you need before leaving.
        Electrical heating is required: the liquid nozzles and,possibly, a quantity of about 100 ml of liquid .

Comment

Park facing the sun if you live south of the polar night.
          Covering windscreen in suitable piece of Lidl canvas or blanket keeps the frost away.
          Fit inline washer fluid heater if temperature normally only goes a few degrees below freezing point such as it is up here in Aberdeenshire.

Comment

Come wintertime I always put alittle coolant in the washer bottle with the screenwash

Comment

Originally posted by mac999 View Post
              Come wintertime I always put alittle coolant in the washer bottle with the screenwash
              Not good for paintwork .....
              A good quality screen wash is good enough (in the correct ratio)
              Last edited by EmilysDad; 26-12-17, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Normal winter screenwash fluid contains methanol. A 30% concentration is required to prevent freezing down to about minus 12C. None of the washer fluids I‘’ve bought here in the uk are any good below minus 5C. I have tried old coolant but its sugar makes a mess on my windshield. Heat is best method in my opinion. Therefore always carry a petrol blow torch in your Smart.

Comment

The sun appears on the windshield at 10 o'clock and I leave at 6:30.
                  The car needs to be in my parking lot, usually there overnight.
                  Windscreen coverage has yielded positive results until the foil has been bonded. Probably the fabric sticks.
                  I'm trying to put a heater in the windshield liquid bowl. The top of the heater must not be in the liquid.
                  Heater type: https://exis.ro/accesoriu_rulota/Ter..._12V-4391.html

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
                    Normal winter screenwash fluid contains methanol. A 30% concentration is required to prevent freezing down to about minus 12C. None of the washer fluids I‘’ve bought here in the uk are any good below minus 5C. I have tried old coolant but its sugar makes a mess on my windshield. Heat is best method in my opinion. Therefore always carry a petrol blow torch in your Smart.
                    It's very rare for UK's temps to be below -5°C though. ;-)

Comment

Only winter is still low temperatures.
                      These devices are for the winter and the climate is different for me. In May it was -5C exceptionally but the minimum of -2 ... 0C at the beginning of May is usual.
                      Here, in Cluj Napoca, usually there are several weeks with -20C ... -15C. The minimum, measured by Smart in the winter 2016-2017 was -22C. Last winter was a normal winter.
                      The proximity of the mountains (peaks 1600 to 1800 m) leads to low temperatures overnight.

My Heater: https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...nyhvOwG1MzRFSu
                      Does not fit in the neck supply vessel, it is necessary to remove the front.
                      Last edited by mottofreee; 27-12-17, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mottofreee View Post
                        Here, in Cluj Napoca, usually there are several weeks with -20C ... -15C. .....
                        Brrrrr!!! 😨

Comment

The coldest temperature I’’ve ever seen here is minus 38 degrees Centigrade in Finzean (pronounced Fingen) near Banchory, Scotland a few years ago.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X