Sticking rear brake drum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticking rear brake drum

A job for the new year. Tried to drive away the other day & the car wouldnt budge either forwards or backwards, it'd only been sat there for a day or two. It's done similar before, but normally after being unused for more like 4 or 5 days & it's previously moved without too much effort. This time though it took a boot full of throttle to unstick whatever had stuck. It drove fine afterwards. It's been left in gear since with the handbrake off ... just in case.

Mine never stick as I carry out periodic maintenance.

The most important points are:

1) Hand brake cables must be moving freely without any binding.
    2) The raised lands on back plate where shoes ride must be suitably greased.
    3) Wheel cylinder pistons must be moving freely.
    4) Adjusters must be working and correctly fitted.
    5) Brake dust must be removed.
    6) Brake fluid requires periodic renewal.

It is surprising how many unSmart rear drum brakes are incorrectly fitted, especially their adjusters:

ATE:

Bolk:

Bosch:

Febi:

Hella:

TRW:

Only TRW shows the shoe assembly correctly put together.

Comment

Thanks Tolsen. I'm so glad that you've never had any problem because of your due diligence ...... This is first snag I've had with a brake drum myself for a number of years though. I've only had the car for 18 months or so, it's just turned 46000 miles & its apparently been regularly serviced (by a name that's frequently been bandied about in Smart circles) ..... just a case of finding the time that coincides with reasonable weather to investigate.

Comment

Sadly having a car serviced by a garage does not necessarily mean the rear brakes are good order.

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
          Sadly having a car serviced by a garage does not necessarily mean the rear brakes are good order.
          Indeed. I'll have a look when I can ..... that'll be in between swapping the new leaky shocker on my Merc for one one old shockers that I kept, so the leaky shocker can go back to The Father Land, hopefully for replacement and Grandad duties.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X