Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Gearbox advice

Hi All

Picking up a 53 plate Smart City Coupe Pulse (Smart Tip) on Sat. Already done a test drive etc and all is in order however I have a question re the Soft Tip gearbox fitted. I get that you have to manually change up sequential style however does the gear automatically change down for you ? I honestly cant remember if it did on my test drive. As an example if I am going along at say 50mph in 5th gear and I come to some lights if I just brake to a stop will it stop the car from stalling and down shift 4,3,2...

It would be good if it did but not a deal breaker if it didn't just have to remember as its not something I am used to (I have had either manual or full auto previously)

Also the dealership has given a copy of the MOT and it passed with 2 advisories - 'front left tyre under 3mm' of tread and 'slight corrosion on sub frame' , I don't really mind about the tyre as I was aware of that anyway and tyres for these cars are pretty cheap even for decent brands, should I be worried about the corrosion ? The fact it passed its MOT suggests its clearly not bad enough to be dangerous ? Note I am only paying £1400 for the car so I can't expect it to be mint especially after 15 years. It has verified service history and 53'000 miles on the clock (verified). HPI clear etc.

FYI - This car is going to be used very sparingly maybe 1000 miles a year , Essentially its for me to be used on the 3-4 days a month when I have to drive to my work's head office for meetings - Its a total return distance of about 12 miles (the rest of the time I cycle to work in normal clothes but for the meetings I have to be suited and booted).

Ta.

Originally posted by whunt18885 View Post
    Hi All

Picking up a 53 plate Smart City Coupe Pulse (Smart Tip) on Sat. Already done a test drive etc and all is in order however I have a question re the Soft Tip gearbox fitted. I get that you have to manually change up sequential style however does the gear automatically change down for you ? I honestly cant remember if it did on my test drive. As an example if I am going along at say 50mph in 5th gear and I come to some lights if I just brake to a stop will it stop the car from stalling and down shift 4,3,2...

It would be good if it did but not a deal breaker if it didn't just have to remember as its not something I am used to (I have had either manual or full auto previously)
    In manual mode it will at least shift down to prevent the rpm getting into stall territory - but not to aid acceleration as per conventional autos. On coming to a stop, it will be in first gear ready to go again and if before stopping you decide to go again, it will be in a gear low enough to prevent stalling - though possibly not low enough for the acceleration you may want. Works well, I like it.
    In auto mode (which your Pulse should have) it should behave like an auto and drop gears on torque demand.

Comment

Thanks - That is what I wanted to hear! I know I would otherwise forget and end up stalling at the lights in 5th gear but it sorts it out the essentially I just need to change up (or down if on a hill etc). Ta

Comment

They all have corrosion on the subframes.

Comment

Ok thanks for that - I suspected I was worrying too much - Ultimately I need to get it out my head that I am buying a new car - Its still 15 years old!

I still think cars with the 'new' style number plates are new -

Ta.

Comment

These wee cars are rust buckets so avoid just like lepers.

Everything apart from the plastic body parts rust and plastic parts crack up.

Rusty front springs less than a year old.

Rusty brake pipe, rusty front wheel hub splash guard and knackered lower ball joint.

Rusty front wheel calipers.

Rusty engine oil pan. Will soon leak due to pitting.

Typical rust area in forward part of rear left wheel arch. Other side same. The sills will also get holed but normally hidden by the sill trim until they fall off.

Rusty right hand side steering knuckle shown taken apart.

Part of left side steering knuckle removed from my 2002 Smart 450 Cabrio. The plate is so thin you can see light through. I knocked all rust off and applied 3 coats of two pack epoksy marine paint. Must be a very strong paint since steering still works fine.

Comment

• Thrumbleux
              Thrumbleux commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah TK, but you drove yours across the North Sea to Scotland.
              Southern (UK) cars don't see the salt that those in Scotland do so they fare better.

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X