Long Distance Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Distance Advice

Further to my last post - I have bought a Smart City Coupe Pulse Soft Tip that I am collecting on Sat. The plan was (and still is) to use on the handful of days I need to go into meetings at my office with suit /tie etc - I normally cycle to work so can't cycle in rain etc.

Anyway just been thrown another issue - I have now been tasked with helping setup a new office in Reading - In addition to the meetings at HQ I now have to drive 1 day a week to Reading (from Nottingham) - A journey of around 3 hours (130 miles)! Obviously a smart car is not ideal for motorway cruising but as I have already committed to buying it in that I have added to my insurance / got it taxed etc I can't really do much about it.

Any tips on long distance driving with the smart - All my previous cars have been Ford Focus sized or bigger (with engines to match) so not really used to driving lighter weight cars down the motorway.

If I drive at a slower (but still acceptable) 60 mph in 6th gear on the motorway realistically can I still expect to hit 45+ MPG (assuming correct tyre pressures / windows up etc)

Any other advice or things to check after a long journey ? I have heard that Smart's tend to use oil is it worth having a small 1ltr pot of GTX in the boot for topping up ?

Ta.

I've never really understood this notion of a 450 not being ideal for long distance driving, my 599cc used to 90-100 miles a day for a couple of years without any incidents but anyway...

Keep an eye out for crosswinds, so on a windy day, make sure you keep a hold of that steering wheel. Drop a gear or two when overtaking and use the rev range of the car.

If I drive at a slower (but still acceptable) 60 mph in 6th gear on the motorway realistically can I still expect to hit 45+ MPG (assuming correct tyre pressures / windows up etc)
    I see no reason why this wouldn't be the case.

I have heard that Smart's tend to use oil is it worth having a small 1ltr pot of GTX in the boot for topping up ?
    Not unless you know the car is burning oil and if that is the case, then you may need to have a engine rebuild if it hasn't had one recently. Course, there can be other reason why the car might be consuming oil.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 31-01-18, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by whunt18885 View Post

70mph and mid to high 40s mpg is still on. Even using 80mph on down hills and level wont dent the figure too much.
      You will be changing down a gear for gradient/headwinds more than you are used to but there's a lever for that so no concern.

New to you car - monitor oil consumption with zeal.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

I would just rent a car those days.

Comment

Biggest issue with motorway driving in a Smart ForTwo, is being bullied by other drivers! Stick to your lane, speed rather than be intimidated to change lane / speed by some idiot who looks at a small car and thinks it must be slow and shouldn't be in front of them!

John

Comment

Part of my commute in my 451, involves just 2 miles on the M61. While I realise it's an exposed section of motorway, Ocracoke is correct by suggesting you hold onto the steering wheel ..... the cross wind can move me half a lane. Though I've driven the 100 miles to Brum in my Roadster, I'd not look forward to the same journey in my 451.
              And as Heinkeljb says ..... don't be bullied.

Comment

The Smart 450 is good for long distance driving. I done Banchory to Dover and Dover to Banchory in just ten hours at least a dozen times.

Comment

There is absolutely no problem with "long distance cruising" in a smart - we regularly took our 450 from Hampshire to Yorkshire, and my Roadster does Hampshire to Scotland at least once a year.

Mind you, you may wish to consider adding cruise control -it makes the whole journey a lot more relaxing.

Comment

• yammy
                    yammy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi, just noticed your post commenting on cruise control. I have just got an MDC Cruise Control Kit and am trying to find somone who can fit it. It looks quite simple but I dont trust myself. Have you had one installed ?

I have a weekly 'commute from Bath to Gateshead in my 451 diesel. 300 miles each way, which usually takes around 5 - 6 hours. 've done it in my other half's Mini Cooper D, and felt no more, or less tired at the end in either car. Yes, it moves around a bit if it's windy, but that just helps me stay awake! I never feel bullied by other cars, I stick to 70mph, get around 65 - 70mpg (I'm lucky if the Mini manages to top 50mpg), and just treat is as any other journey in any car.

It's a car, and is as suited to any journey you want to do in it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X