Hose identification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hose identification

My smart is still burning oil despite changing the crankcase breather, I noticed another pipe connecting to the throttle body (opposite where the crankcase breather connects) this goes to the left and back behind the intercooler. It's slightly wider than the crankcase breather and also seems to have a one way valve.

What pipe is this, could this be causing oil consumption.

The car is going back to the dealer where I bought it and their mechanic is going to take a look but just wondering if this could be causing an issue.

Ta.

I am not that familar with petrol 450 engines but guess that fatter pipe with check valve is brake booster vacuum pipe.

Comment

Ah ok so not source of oil leak then. Looking under the car I can see lots of oil on the base of the engine components (sump is bone dry on outside tho) so clearly a leak somewhere. Will get dealer to sort hopefully it's just a loose seal or something. Also explains the oil consumption

Ta.

Comment

Clean the oil off the engine!

THen go for a long drive. Now look for the source of your oil leak. You will find it much easier to identify on a clean engine.

John

Comment

Follow the advice above, identify any oil leaks.

That pipe is for the servo brake.
          It can be easily checked: press the brake pedal and then start the engine.
          Shortly after starting the engine, the pedal cranks down slightly - if the brake system is ok.
          Does not affect oil consumption!

Causes of high oil consumption:
          - Worn engine
          - turbo
          - Crankcase Breather Valve.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X