Exhaust fitting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust fitting

Should there be a gasket or any sealing compound used for connecting the exhaust to the turbo?
    I've been over the car changing fluids and filters and noticed that the two nuts for the exhaust turbo connection are AWOL. It looks as if a reddish compound has been smeared around the studs, which is baked hard. From the condition of the stud threads the nuts have not been replaced recently.
    I've looked on Evilution and FQ 101 and neither show a gasket.
    Thanks for any help.

No gasket.

Comment

Thanks Thrumbleux.
      So is the seal achieved only by clean mating surfaces and 30 Nm torque on the nuts?

Comment

I suggest you replace the two steel nuts with brass nuts.
        Brass nuts on exhausts are much less prone to seize up.

Comment

Unlike mine with nae nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Angus View Post
            Thanks Thrumbleux.
            So is the seal achieved only by clean mating surfaces and 30 Nm torque on the nuts?

Clean mating surfaces and careful alignment when fitting seals it without problems.
            The nut closest the engine can be a pain to get at so needs to be in good condition for a socket to grip - new ones required. A universal joint to manipulate the socket will help when working on it. New studs are a good idea too - but only if the old ones will shift without breaking.

Comment

Thanks both for the input.
              Looks like a metal putty has been used as "nuts". Chipped it off the easy access stud, but might have to cut the engine side stud. Hoping the muppet hasn't used something stupid in the joint! I'll get replacement studs and nuts and see how I get on.

Comment

As you noticed, connect to con => without gasket.
                Copper alloy nuts are recommended - simple, hexagonal.
                No sealing or locking material is used on the nuts. Simply nuts.

Comment

Managed to chip the metal putty and get the studs out with diesel/oil, a few days patience and then a tad of heat. No gunk or gasket used. Muppet must have run out!
                  Got the replacement studs and nuts, but the car sounds quite good without the back box.
                  Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X