ABS warning indcator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS warning indcator

The ABS warning light comes on (and the yellow warning triangle) only if I travel faster than 60mph. It drives fine and when I stop and restart the lamp goes off and stays off apart from when exceeding 60mph. Brakes seem fine too.

I noticed the ABS light coming on briefly when negotiating bends even though I was not braking but not all the time.

Any advice regards looking for possible causes very welcome.

Check the reluctor rings - particularly on the rear wheels.

John

Comment

Thanks John, I checked all four wheels, front OS bearing had a lot of play, the centre cap was missing which probably caused rapid wear. I have replaced it but wondered if it is ok to add grease before fitting the new centre cap?

Comment

Check also tyres re pressure and size mismatch - new tyre(s) recently?

Don't think you can grease bearings - just run with the grease installed from new.

Comment

Brake pedal switch often causes this.

Comment

Sometimes a click one way or the other on the brake pedal switch can make all the difference. However I adjusted mine various ways, replaced it, checked reluctor rings etc & it turned out that one of the very small wires on the brake switch plug had all but broken. Rejoined the wire ..... not easy persuading an aging body, upside down into a Roadster's foot well ..... & it fixed my ABS/ESP problems.

Comment

Went to take one of our cars out (covid lockdown meaning not enough miles with enough frequency) it was a snowy afternoon a few weeks back (snow 20 minutes in & settling) never encountered the ABS warning before, which meant we initially put the car back after a zoom around the village & took the tesla instead.

Whilst not a wee inducing moment it did cause a bit of anguish at the possibility of "car sitting too long" problems, ..such was the panic of the wife that her ok traction & slow driving without any noticeable loss of grip / traction convincing her to carry on because "weather" was a no-go area.

Snow went, so did the warning light, ...lesson learnt ) I hope.

Comment

In the snow, all the ABS light meant is that it was working as the rear wheels lost grip on one side compared to the other - nothing wrong - it was doing what
                it is supposed to do!

John

Comment

Thanks for that info john (snow few & far between for us here) ..the light was on at point of cranking ignition which is what concerned the wife, stayed on for the drive & went when the snow went ..we were / are suspicous based on not having moved the car!?

Comment

Okay, now you provide some more information which suggests that maybe you have some rust on the ABS rings, usually the rear ones which might need to be clean off. Take the rear wheels off and have a look at the toothed rings you will find just inboard of the hubs.

John

Comment

Thanks, that was my concern as to the likely alternative, therefore I was wondering that considering the age of the 450's despite low mileage it is due for a new set.

neither of ours have hit 30,000 yet (if I recall) so I am hoping its a small amount of rust that removed itself, will get it checked at the garage shortly.

Question is what are the cheapo ABS reluctors I see made of? or should I simply save time (if not money) getting some from the smart mods site? ..being the fit & forget type of person I despise having to re-visit the same repair wherever possible (not a lot you can do about the state of our pot holed roads though).

Comment

Additional: "that'll learn me" for always wondering about the smart in the snow traction ..inquiring minds are one thing, repair bills another, (bah).

I'm hoping it was a bit of sitting rust as we'd not run it as regularly due to muscle (hah) injury & that 450 has no power steering, if you "were" on the smart forum & read that regularly you will likely be as familiar with our cars as us, ...covid life made me not visit the old forum, & when I went back the other week the forum was shuttered, thus the migration here.
                        Last edited by 2fortwofamily; 10-03-21, 08:40 AM. Reason: additional

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X