03 passion 600cc gear change problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03 passion 600cc gear change problems

Hello, this is my first post i really need someones help. My 03 plate passion 600cc is having gear selection problems. If i put the car on axle stands and accelerate the car will change gear smoothly up and down. if i put the back wheels back onto the ground and try to drive the car it wont change gear but makes a clicking noise around the gearbox area. I have checked the actuator, all is good and greased. I have split the gearbox and removed the clutch all again looks good with no small springs loose or snapped. Clutch release bearing is sound with very little wear. I am thinking stepper motor or sensor but why would it change gear with no load???
    Now i have the car in bits can anyone help me as i am completely stuck?????
    NOBLEM

Did you check the outboard end of the clutch fork? Not unknown for the actuator rod to pierce it.

Comment

Yep checked the Clutch Fork, as i say it changes gear no problem i can watch it and hear it as a mate increases speed. Its really confusing everything in my opinion indicates clutch but it looks fine to me.

Comment

Often, gear selection/clutch issues are due to wires being chaffed and broken - particularly around the intercooler scoop which cuts the wires. The scoop can also rest on the axle which will then cause it to move with suspension travel - ie, wheels on or off the ground. I'd have a look there.
        If you need to check wiring continuity, use a bulb tester as a multimeter can mask a fault as it doesn't put enough current in to detect a wire conducting over a single strand.

Comment

I was thinking about wiring, i am a pure clanky so me and wigglies dont go together. Any tips on where to start, turn ignition on and see if im getting a voltage???
          Do you know what resistance i should get across windings on the stepper motor?

Comment

Go straight to physical check.
            I replaced a handbrake cable on mine this week and while under it I noticed the IC scoop in contact with some of the transmission wiring so tywrapped the scoop to pull it away from contact with the wiring. This is common on smarts. And the scoop is so close to the axle as to brush it at least.
            Raise the rear of the car, find the IC scoop and have a good look for cuts into the wiring.
            There are posts on this forum which show 'pin outs' if you have to check wire by wire for continuity. At worst,a rear section of harness can be bought new - circa £200.

Comment

Forgot to mention....If the rear harness is damaged and cant be repaired in situ, it is removable but that entails (obviously) removing its connectors to all components - and some are a proper PITA.

Comment

Cheers for your replies, had another good look today cant see any visual breaks in any cables, getting a mate of mine to help me line check.Your right disconnecting the connectors is not easy, it seems they are all fastened differently.
                Looked at the clutch and thrust bearing this seems a little worn how much should i pay for a clutch kit and do you have any recommends to buy from??

Comment

Originally posted by noblem View Post
                  Cheers for your replies, had another good look today cant see any visual breaks in any cables, getting a mate of mine to help me line check.Your right disconnecting the connectors is not easy, it seems they are all fastened differently.
                  Persevere with the wiring checks. Don't expect to find a severed wire, more one worn through that then cannot conduct enough current to operate the actuators etc. There should be signs of damage though. Look very closely where the cabling runs close to the IC scoops edges as it is the edges that cut into the wiring. Have a look to see if the scoop is resting on the axle and can move with it. I think this may explain why your car is OK jacked up but not when back on its wheels.
                  Yep, one needs a push, another needs a pull and no way of seeing which - a PITA alright! When I had my engine out I removed by disconnecting them one by one in situ. For reassembly I took the sub harness to the engine then engine and harness to the car with only the ECU connectors to deal with - much easier.

Originally posted by noblem View Post
                  Looked at the clutch and thrust bearing this seems a little worn how much should i pay for a clutch kit and do you have any recommends to buy from??
                  I don't know about clutch prices but if the problem is wiring, once solved I'd just run with it until the release bearing is howling. Chances are there's plenty life in it yet.

Comment

Check out wiring harness using both multimeter to measure resistance and 21 watt test lamp powered by 12 volt battery to inject current to confirm there is sufficient conductivity.

Above table gives you transmission wiring pinout on any Smart 450 both diesel and petrol models.

Column 1 is engine control unit pins on the large plug.
                    Column 2 gives brief description.
                    Column 3 is pinout at sensor or actuator.

Examples:
                    ECU pin 19 goes to gear position sensor pin 2 and cable is yellow.
                    ECU pin 51 goes to transmission gear change motor pin 4 and cable is white and thin (thin compared to the two power cables).

Pinout sketches are viewed from ends of plugs.

Comment

This is great, i have sent the diagram to my mate(electrician type) we are going to have a look on monday so i will update you on how i get on. Finished for the weekend, the car is in his garage in bits at the moment.
                      Its a real shame as the car is sound for its age, soft top doesnt leak just cant seem to solve this snag. Dont want to take to a garage as they will charge me a fortune not used to being defeated!!!
                      Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

Driving on Tuesday then!
                        Yep, let us know how you get on.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X