City Coupe 2002 Autobox Problem.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Coupe 2002 Autobox Problem.

Hi. I have a 2002 City Coupe 600cc. Was driving along fine then auto box decided not to change up. I am able to drive in semi auto mode and it seems to be okay BUT when in Auto it just revs high but will not change gears. [ Occasionally if I decelerate it seems to change up ] Another owner I know suggested it may be the clutch actuator ? Am I able to service this without taking the engine / box apart. Any suggestions please.

Yes - do a search for it and start reading.

Comment

• micky13
      micky13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank You ,

• micky13
      micky13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Did the search, Did the read. Did the lube. Gears in semi auto seem to shift smoother. BUT still got a problem with Auto the revs still go high but if I reduce the revs momentarily then the box changes up through the gears each time. Do you think I would have to drive for a bit longer for the lube job to take full effect. Any one any further suggestions please.

• micky13
      micky13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Did the search, Did the read. Did the lube. Gears in semi auto seem to shift smoother. BUT still got a problem with Auto the revs still go high but if I reduce the revs momentarily then the box changes up through the gears each time. Do you think I would have to drive for a bit longer for the lube job to take full effect. Any one any further suggestions please. PS there are no fault codes coming up on dash just the usual 1 or A

Greetings everyone. Wondering if there is any method to tight my noisy steering rack on my Chevy Epica??? Faced with MS00068 tool from MSG https://servicems.eu/repair-of-power...ring-rack.html Kind of a socket. What is your advice whethere to buy it or not

Comment

Fault codes need to be read via an additional device connected to OBD port - if your car has one. They wont appear on the dash.

Comment

• micky13
        micky13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for that. I used an Icarsoft diagnostic and no fault codes found. Sorry should have said that up front.

There are only a few diagnostic systems that will read error codes on a Smart reliably, the MB Star and the WINstar are two of the better systems. Other diagnostic system can give false readings of codes, like my "cheap" bluetooth one which reckoned I had a miss fire on cylinder 5!

Comment

• micky13
        micky13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Heinkeljb
        No this diagnostic was not a cheap one but it may be that as I have not driven a smart for a couple of years I just may have been a bit heavy footed [ if that is a word ] and so am gonna be a bit softer with it to see if it will change easier. Many thanks again mick

Reading your first post it sounds that this is a newly appeared problem. Over the years on these forums, over and over, those with auto mode preferred semi-auto mode because the shift programming was so lousy. Are you sure you have a problem (as opposed to 'they all do that sir')?

Comment

• micky13
        micky13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Thrumbleux. Thanks for the reply . Not sure about that as only just got the Smart and think I may have overdone it a bit on the motorway Am gonna give it a bit more driving to see if you were correct or if it has just decided to play up a bit. Thanks again. mick

Gear change seems to be dependent to engine load. So if you want it to change up you have to take the load off the engine by reducing the throttle slightly. Also it seems to be speed related, I haven't driven in auto for a while, but from memory it won't go into 6th until above 54mph.
      I think you just need drive the car more & experiment.

Comment

• micky13
        micky13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Mr T Thanks for that. It does change up when I lift my foot off accelerator slightly but it was working okay prioe and then just decided not to change. However I will take your advice onboard and give it a bit longer to see if it is just me a bit too hefty with my foot. Many thanks again. mick

Only the diesel 450 has decent auto function. My Cdi has quick gear changes almost as smooth as silk provided clutch actuator is in good working order and is adjusted correcty mechanically and free wheel pulley is fitted on alternator. Free wheel pulley on alternator allows engine speed to drop faster in preparation for next gear up.

My Cdi accelerating in auto mode about a year and a half ago.

Comment

• mottofreee
        mottofreee commented
        Editing a comment
        That's right . With the freewheel pulley on the alternator, change faster.
        However, the wrong side is that the steering wheel is well positioned.

• tolsen
        tolsen commented
        Editing a comment
        My steering wheel is on the right side.

MB Star what does it say? Are all conductors ok?

Comment

Hi,

I've read somewhere that the ECU learns/adapts to the particular driving style - this box will change up according to a load applied, as already mentioned on here - so if you accelerate gently the shift up will happen sooner, but if you floor it it might get all the way up to 5k revs before it changes the gear. Auto mode on 450 sucks anyway (that's why I have made my own steering wheel shifters), but plugging it into a MB Star and running clutch and transmission adaptation routines wouldn't hurt. If you're anywhere near Gloucester I can do that for a few bottles of good ale

Comment

My wife just phoned saying our 2002 Smart 450 will no longer shift up in auto same problem as described in post #1.

Comment

• Thrumbleux
            Thrumbleux commented
            Editing a comment
            There'll be a definitive answer to this problem soon then I suspect.

I conclude CAN trouble.

The faults were shown as both stored and current but could not be that current since they all disappeared once erased. Auto appeared to work normally when I tested the Smart and before I erased the fault codes.

Obviously without reliable wheel speed data the auto function may not work.

Intend this weekend to inspect main wiring for ABS unit and its connector under the car.

Comment

Just noticed, "P0500 vehicle speed. The CAN data are invalid", is also shown as pending. Wonder what that means. I've seen the first two faults for about 10 years and I suspect they care caused by a card fitted under gear shift to allow gear shift using horn buttons on steering wheel.
            Last fault is new. Caused by my Polish EGR cheater.

Comment

Wife reports vehicle speed was indicating normally when auto function failed.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X