Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 or 6 speed box

Hi,
    I've just picked up my Smart Babus fortwo 2004. I thought it should have a 6 speed box, but it appears to only have 5, is this correct or am I missing a gear somewhere.

All 450s (ie 600/700cc) have 6sp boxes. Later 451 (1000cc) got a 5sp box.

edit PS. There's a minimum engagement speed for each gear. Circa 35mph for 6th (regular non Brabus).
    Last edited by Thrumbleux; 21-07-18, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• mottofreee
      mottofreee commented
      Editing a comment
      I met Brabus diesel - 80HP / 16 ".

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post

edit PS. There's a minimum engagement speed for each gear. Circa 35mph for 6th (regular non Brabus).
    Thanks for that, perhaps I wasn't up to speedit was my first day of ownership, I will have to try it on a faster road.
    Cheers Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post

Have found my 6th gear, it doesn't come into play until about 43 mph.
      So thanks again for your reply.
      Bob

Comment

• Thrumbleux
        Thrumbleux commented
        Editing a comment
        You're welcome.
        (Happy to hear you found the blighter).

I've found it's not worth going into 6th until at least 50mph as it labours the engine to much, I like to keep the revs above 2500 rpm, normally change gear at about 4000 - 4500 rpm.

Comment

For 450CDI it is possible to correct the speed at which to change through the relearn of the gearbox. Limit unfortunately (+/- 3mph) ...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr T View Post
          I've found it's not worth going into 6th until at least 50mph as it labours the engine to much, I like to keep the revs above 2500 rpm, normally change gear at about 4000 - 4500 rpm.
          Is yours a Brabus ?
          I guess it depends on the road, mine seems fairly happy in 6th on the flat at about 45mph, but you are probably right about keeping the revs up rather than straining the engine.

Comment

• Thrumbleux
            Thrumbleux commented
            Editing a comment
            Brabus gearing is shorter in the top 3 ratios compared to regular 450.

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X