Just got a Smart car :-)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a Smart car :-)

Just got a Smart car and have a few questions and probably some more as time goes by...

1. Are the exhaust gases supposed to be very hot? Eg cant hold your hand against the exhaust gases due to heat after a run.

2. What oil? It came with a bottle of 0w40

3. Is there a toolkit with the smart car

4. Theres a rubber pipe cable tied under the engine area under the back of the car with say a inner diameter of 6mm that seems to be dripping slowly with thickish looking oil. Guessing a oil breather pipe?

Thanks

Originally posted by Minigirl View Post
    Just got a Smart car and have a few questions and probably some more as time goes by...

1. Are the exhaust gases supposed to be very hot? Eg cant hold your hand against the exhaust gases due to heat after a run.

2. What oil? It came with a bottle of 0w40

3. Is there a toolkit with the smart car

4. Theres a rubber pipe cable tied under the engine area under the back of the car with say a inner diameter of 6mm that seems to be dripping slowly with thickish looking oil. Guessing a oil breather pipe?

Thanks
    I'm sorry I can't help you as I've only had my 1st Smart Fortwo a week. You are probably right about needing advice though.
    Good luck and enjoy.

Comment

1) Yes.
      2) Handbook has info. From memory, don't recall a 0W being listed but could be wrong.
      3) No.
      4) Shouldn't be any external engine breather. Either a hose adrift or bodge.

Comment

Thanks, is there any software i can get to read and clear fault codes etc? My partner uses a laptop on his BMW with software called inpa that allows him to clear codes etc but it is BMW specific

Thanks

Comment

• mottofreee
          mottofreee commented
          Editing a comment
          INPA is for BMW.
          Smart car is Daimler, it works correctly with MB Star / WIN Star - dedicated.

BMW is the property of BMW AG. Smart is the property of Daimler AG.
          BMW AG and Daimler AG are competitors ; software / hardware differs.

I think - icarsoft reads/deletes codes on MB related cars - seems to be mentioned often on a MB forum.

Comment

Will have a look for icarsoft thanks

Comment

Mobil 1 0w40 is what Smart dealers used to use for services.
            The oil should be fully synthetic to mb229.5 standard & can be anything from 0w30 up to 20w50! It all depends on the ambient temperature of the country you live in.
            I personally use Tesco 5w30 on both our Smarts & haven't had any problems, the main thing is to change it regularly.

Comment

I use only quality Lidl oil.

Best diagnostics kit for your Smart is Delphi DS150E.
              https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015R3-Car-...from=R40&rt=nc

Can also read most lorries and buses etc.

Comment

Thanks,

had a look and the pipe cable tied under the car runs up and over the blue turbo hose and then i loose it, theres not much room in the bay lol...

Any ideas where this should go?

Comment

Can that delphi also reset airbag lights etc? Thanks

Comment

Yes and it can read all systems plus, provided your Smart is from 2003 or later, it can adjust clutch, teach gear changes, code keys and more.

Comment

Tool kit:

Jack, spare wheel and wheel brace were available in the early days but was replaced by a small air compressor and tyre seal.

I carry both tyre compressor and spare wheel with jack etc on longer remote area trips.

My spare wheel is a narrow front wheel on a steel rim. 135/70R15. Sits snugly behind driver's seat

Jack is from a Honda. Telescopic wheel brace from Lidl. Fitted with a 15 mm long socket.

Comment

Spare wheel, krik, wheel brace and bandenzak sit snugly behind driver's seat as per info in old owner's handbook.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Het bandenzak is a bag for defective wheel.
                          Spare wheel kit is no longer available from Smart but the wheel rim is and all other bits like krik, wheel brace and bandenzak can be sourced elsewhere.

My spare wheel (145/65-R15 or 135/70-R15) sits snugly behind driver's seat. No need for any bracket hold down device. Now I have the wheel covered in a Carradice Pro-bike wheel cover wheel cover. Just the right size for spare wheel and the colour of Pro-bike wheel cover matches interior of my Cabrio.

Reservewiel.

Het reservewiel is een origineel smart-accessoire dat verkrijgbaar is in uw smart Center.

Het wordt in uw smart Center gemonteerd.
                          Het bevindt zich achter de bestuurdersstoel.

Tot het reservewiel behoren:
                          Reservewiel 115/70 R15
                          Krik
                          Beschermhoes voor reservewiel
                          Wielmoersleutel met speciaal gereedschap
                          Gebruiksaanwijzing
                          Bandenzak voor het defecte wiel

Hierop moet u letten.

Lees voor gebruik eerst de gebruiksaanwijzing van het reservewiel.
                          Controleer de luchtdruk van het reservewiel regelmatig. (4.2 bar).
                          Wanneer uw smart is voorzien van het reservewiel , beperk dan de lading in de cofferruimte tot maximum 35 kg.
                          Het reservewiel vermindert de lengteverstelling van de bestuurdersstoel met l klik.
                          Het reservewiel mag uitsluitend met originele smart wielbouten worden gemonteerd.
                          Er mag slechts één reservewiel gemonteerd zijn.

Attentie!
                          De gebruiksaanwijzing van het reservewiel zit onder de afdekking van de reservewielhouder.

Spare wheel kit.

The spare kit is an original smart accessory that is available at your smart center.

It is fitted by your smart centre.
                          It is located behind driver's seat.

Parts contained in spare wheel kit:
                          Spare wheel 115/70 R15
                          Protective cover for spare wheel
                          Jack
                          Wheel brace
                          Instructions
                          Bag for defective wheel

Please note following:

Read instructions before using spare wheel kit.
                          Check pressure of the spare frequently. (4.2 bar).
                          When your Smart is equipped with the spare wheel kit, the load capacity of luggage compartment is limited to maximum 35 kg.
                          The spare wheel kit reduces the length adjustment of driver's seat by one click.
                          The spare wheel should only be mounted with original wheel bolts.
                          Only one spare wheel can be accommodated.

Attention!
                          The instructions for the spare wheel kit is under the cover of the spare wheel support bracket.

Comment

We used various types of oil:
                            -Ravenol 5W30 MB229.3 - is not good
                            -MobilSuper 3000 MB229.5 -halfgood (oil consumption at upper limit)
                            -LiquiMoly LL 5W30 MB229.5 - halfgood - too thin and when the engine heats up it's noisy, too consuming)
                            -Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W40 MB229.5 - good but moderate oil consumption
                            -Mobil 1 New Life 0W40 MB229.5 -the best .Pro - quiet engine (no suspicious noise), low consumption (0.8l / 15 000km). However, in winter, engine operation is cumbersome.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X