Stupid key fob!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid key fob!

Hi everyone, my spare key fob isn't working so I changed the battery and still not working. I can get in by unlocking the boot manually but the immobiliser has been on and it won't start. (Used spare key for about a month but thought I should get it sorted incase anything happens to other one) tonight I got back in it again (unlocking boot) and the car is starting fine. So basically my key can't lock and unlock the car?... is this a case of reprogramming key? I have it booked in garage and they said £72 for reprogram but just want to make sure if that's what it sounds like? Thanks

Your post is confusing.

You have two keys?

Key A will unlock the boot, but will not unlock the doors or disable the immobiliser so you can not start the engine?
    Key B will unlock the boot, but will not unlock the doors even though it will disable the immobiliser and allow you to start the car?

If that is the case, then there is something wrong with the door locks because Key B should unlock them if it can disable the immobiliser.

Key A needs to be be re-sync'ed with the car, but as you have to re-sync ALL the keys you want to use at the same time. You will have to get both the car and ALL the keys you have to the garage when you take it there.

Does Key B unlock the boot lid on the button?
    Do you hear any "clunking" noises when you press the button to unlock on Key B?

John

Comment

Sorry for being confusing! Ok so one key is fine and works as it should..... spare key won't lock/unlock and up until yesterday wouldn't start as immobiliser was just staying on. Tried again yesterday and it still won't lock/unlock but did start the car! I've got it booked in to get both reprogrammed on Friday for £72, does this sound about right and like it is a reprogram issue?

Comment

Scrap that, other half has just told me he actually unlocked it with the fully working key which obviously disabled the immobiliser!

Comment

Originally posted by smartie-iow View Post
          Sorry for being confusing! Ok so one key is fine and works as it should..... spare key won't lock/unlock and up until yesterday wouldn't start as immobiliser was just staying on. Tried again yesterday and it still won't lock/unlock but did start the car! I've got it booked in to get both reprogrammed on Friday for £72, does this sound about right and like it is a reprogram issue?
          Just had my spare key reprogrammed. Cost £27.50 @ Hares Garage, East Preston. West Sussex.

Comment

• smartie-iow
            smartie-iow commented
            Editing a comment
            Almost worth a day trip out for that price!

Ok, So if I understand things correctly now:-

You have one key / fob unit which works correctly. Will unlock / lock the car using the buttons on the fob, which also disables the immobiliser AND the mechanical part of the key will unlock the boot and will turn the ignition switch to start the car.

You have another key / fob unit which does NOT unlock / lock the car using the buttons and therefore does not disable the immobiliser. Can this key open the Boot and turn the ignition switch (even if it does not start the car)? If the answer to this is YES, then you should just need to get the car and the keys re-synchronised.

It is possible you will need to put new batteries in the key fobs if the garage has trouble synchronising them.

John

Comment

Arggggghhhhh ok so apparently need a whole new key £107 then reprogram it and current working one £72 plus £36 for them looking at it today!
            My car is prob only worth £800 now so don't like the idea of £200 to get key sorted!

Comment

Well, you can always just continue to rely on your single key - hope that it doesn't go out of sync and leave you stranded somewhere.

John

Comment

• smartie-iow
                smartie-iow commented
                Editing a comment
                Somenoe on a different forum has offered to look at it for me and see if can fix it, (send it in post) cheaper option for now!

I bought a key fob from far away China for £11 inclusive of air mail postage. Have not yet coded it to the car but have confirmed all buttons work and that it transmits on the right frequency. Got a special gadget to check key fob frequent. Came also out of China.

A pity you are that far south. I code keys for a pint or two per key. Can also cut keys using another tool out of China.

Comment

• smartie-iow
                smartie-iow commented
                Editing a comment
                Do you have a link to what exactly I need to order? Thanks

Synchronization is required.

When a button is pressed on the Smart remote, a code is issued that tells the machine system (CS) that is the activation code. CS is waiting for that code ...
              Pressing a remote control button too often when it is outside the reception range will cause a disarm, meaning the CS is waiting for a code, and the remote emits another code. It was then ... nothing.
              These are also valid if the reserve is rarely used. In order to avoid this, the concept of the reserve key disappears, both keys are used (one key A week and one B key week). Alternate is the main one and not necessarily a week, it can be a month with a month .

Comment

Wonder if that's what's happened, my other half uses it now so my key rarely gets used and is the one that's not working. Do I have an option but to spend nearly £200 on a new one. The garage said I need to order the genuine key fob bits and blades from the only garage that can order them on the Isle of Wight. I could send off to the person on the other page but then I could be spending more money trying to get it fixed and still have to pay out after all? Anyone want to buy a 06 pink passion with one key? Ha ha

Comment

• smartie-iow
                  smartie-iow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Laughing at me! Anyone want to buy my car????

As Tolsen said, a key (with the electronics!) Is 11 pounds to Chinese via eBay free shipping - it takes longer to get it and must be synchronized on the car.

Who are you laughing at? by me, by Smartmaniacs or?

Comment

• mottofreee
                  mottofreee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Of course, there are people talking to them, why would not they people who laugh at them?

I see your Smart is one of the later ones made since 2006. In that case you can code the key yourself using cheap Delphi DS150E available from eBay for £30 and above. This diagnostics kit can also set bite point of your clutch and read all systems on your Smart plus works with most other cars and lorries. Therefore quite possible to get you sorted for no more than £50.

Comment

Key fob same as the one I bought and less than £10:
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Button-...4383.l4275.c10

Delphi DS150E without Bluetooth for less than £24::
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Scann...4383.l4275.c10

Most of these come with Bluethooth but I prefer USB cable. Less trouble that way. Install on an old PC. I got software running on two XP pcs and one running Windows 7. You can also buy Wurth WoW software which works with the DS150E multiplexer. WoW contains part of Autodata which is very handy for looking up torques and wheel geometry settings etc.

Comment

• smartie-iow
                    smartie-iow commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So I could buy keys from China and get them reprogrammed with car at any garage and go to key place to get blade part done? I don't have a clue on software, I'm a girl that knows nothing about cars!

• tolsen
                    tolsen commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A garage that has Delphi or other diagnostics capable of coding car to keys should be able to do it provided they have their heads correctly screwed on.
                    The procedur is pretty straight forward. You just follow instructions given to you by the diagnostics machine step by step.
                    Below you can see the start of key coding in Wurth WoW:
                    https://s19.postimg.cc/mhp8blhvn/Sma...rogramming.png

As you see you can get it done for less than £34.
                  Perhaps you should consider buying two China keys. Mine has a set of three. Handy if you loose one. You will still have a spare.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X