Fortwo brakes stuck on.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fortwo brakes stuck on.

This morning had a doctors appointment @ 0915, jumped into car to find brakes were sticking on, was able to drive (I had to get to my appointment)car about half mile before they released, then the ABS light and an orange triangle showed. After appointment l got into car, turned on ignition and everything back to normal, any suggestions what might have caused it.

Them being stuck after sitting (especially if wet when parked up) is common but usually release (with a bang) then OK for rest of day and without ABS light.
    Your scenario differs from the above - and is one I've never heard of before.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post
      Them being stuck after sitting (especially if wet when parked up) is common but usually release (with a bang) then OK for rest of day and without ABS light.
      Your scenario differs from the above - and is one I've never heard of before.
      It was only parked over night, have to wait and see if it happens again.

Comment

Which brakes front or rear?

Front brakes sticking is uncommon. Rear brakes may stick if not regularly serviced and hand brake left on especially after having driven in the wet.

Comment

Don’t just drive off if brakes are stuck whether doctor’’s appointment or not. Unstick brakes by driving car back and forth a few inches each way.

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
            Don’t just drive off if brakes are stuck whether doctor’’s appointment or not. Unstick brakes by driving car back and forth a few inches each way.

That he could drive off makes me think this isn't the classic stuck brake as we know it. The last time it happened to me ( a few weeks ago after washing the car and obviously allowing water into the drum) I feared for my clutch before the brake finally freed.

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
              I've no idea whether it was the front or rear to be honest, as for driving with them stuck on, I totally agree with what your saying, but I hate to miss or be late for any appointment.
              I've just been out for a 10 mile run and everything seems fine, will just have wait and see if it happens again.
              Last edited by Bobby 2000; 13-08-18, 04:31 PM.

Comment

When a rear brake sticks the arse of the car rises or falls depending on which direction you are trying to go (up reversing, drops forward).
                If you have a binding brakes and drive with it the heat can be felt by hand once you have stopped.
                Take care here. A brake so hot as to melt the grease from a wheel bearing and it catch fire is far from unknown. On top of that, overheated brakes lose effectiveness (fade).

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post
                  When a rear brake sticks the arse of the car rises or falls depending on which direction you are trying to go (up reversing, drops forward).
                  If you have a binding brakes and drive with it the heat can be felt by hand once you have stopped.
                  Take care here. A brake so hot as to melt the grease from a wheel bearing and it catch fire is far from unknown. On top of that, overheated brakes lose effectiveness (fade).
                  Unfortunately because of my appointment I didn't have time to do any investigation at the time, when I did get back home, which was probably about half hour later the rear brakes were cool to the touch the front discs were a bit hotter but certainly not excessive.
                  I've got new disc's and pads ready to fit as the ones already on the car are quite rusty on the back of the disc's, but intended to do these along with the lower ball joints during the winter months. Perhaps I should bring it forward, i will also check the rear shoes for wear.
                  Last edited by Bobby 2000; 13-08-18, 07:00 PM.

Comment

There is another possibility. A flexible brake hose that is collapsing internally. Said collapse traps line pressure and prevents the brake from releasing.

Comment

• Bobby 2000
                      Bobby 2000 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Been out in Smartie several times now and so far so good, keeping fingers crossed that it was a one off.
                      Thanks for all your replies, you all seem a helpful and friendly lot.
                      Cheers

I had the same brake issue yesterday, although not as bad, it soon released. Today I decided to start investigating, had both rear drums off, no force needed, blew the dust out. Everything seemed in good order no scoring of the drums and plenty of lining left on shoes. I have put them back together and will just wait until it happens again.
                    If it does it again, it will be the front ends turn.

Comment

Grease the raised flats where shoes contact anchor plate.

Also make sure the adjusters are working. You can usually tell by inspecting the linings for even wear.

On the front brakes the most important check is ensuring slide pins move freely. Never apply mineral grease to them because the dust seals and rubber ring on one of the pins will perish. I use a food grade silicone grease. The type used to grease food processors etc.
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/200g-Pure-S...bly/1744373893

Comment

• Bobby 2000
                        Bobby 2000 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for that tolsen, I will definitely do the front grease the pins on the front pads.
                        The brake shoe's and drums on the rear all look good and fairly new.
                        Last edited by Bobby 2000; 24-08-18, 01:44 PM.

The saga of the brakes continues.
                      They stuck on again today, not so much that you can't move the car. What I did notice was that the brake pedal was really hard with no movement, just like there was no servo assistance. I drove the car about half a mile by which time the brakes had freed off, I felt the drums and disc's and they were all hot.
                      Anyone with any ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby 2000 View Post
                        What I did notice was that the brake pedal was really hard with no movement, j.
                        That's as per HSA being operational. Not saying that's the problem but all 4 brakes sticking on is a rarity.

Comment

• Bobby 2000
                          Bobby 2000 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sorry for my ignorance, but what's HSA.

Hill Start Assist. The feature that when the foot brake is released the brakes are held on for another 0.7s before release.
                        Maybe though, worth a look under the floor for anything untoward (mechanically) around the master cylinder servo area and the pipes that connect to the ABS unit.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X