2006 Smart 450 won’t rev

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Smart 450 won’t rev

Hello, I’m the least mechanical person ever so please bare with me. I have a 2006 450 Smart Cabrio from G&K
    The problem started with a bad muffler, it was leaking straight up at the metal engine cover on the Left hand side, it got so hot it melted a full jug of antifreeze which soaked everything including the engine.
    After MONTHS I finally got the muffler and had it put on but when I started the car it fired right up but there was absolutely nothing as far as when I depressed the throttle, so ordered a brand new gas pedal, plugged it in nothing, turned off the car and did a reset thing I saw on the net... turn car to on position, depress pedal, wait 5 seconds, release, shut of car wait a few minutes, restart. When I do this I get one rev and then nothing. After some snooping I found that the heat from the muffler melted through a vacuum line.
    ( this is the part where everyone is going to make fun of me because I know nothing! Lol)
    I (and my mechanic) are having trouble finding out exactly what the vacuum hose goes to.
    It’s runs along the top of the Fuel injector housing?
    (The thing that says SMART) I would say how it’s attached is similar to a fuel rail? It has a connector
    And this is where it gets funky? Everything is fine until
    AFTER the connector and then it’s melted through,
    The other end goes down along the left hand side of the car towards the front. I know that’s a **** description but I’m hoping someone can translate my idiocy and tell me the vacuum hose I need and better yet a part number. I see that I have to replace the plastic hose after the adapter closest to the engine but I’m not sure how far the other piece goes ( the part that is on the left part of the car and heads up front)
    I’m hoping this will solve the throttle not reving problem but I’m not sure, the engine light and gas gauge are all flashing as well, I read that some cruise control problems can cause the no reving problem but CC doesn’t seem to be installed on my car.
    I will try to upload a photo of the melted vacuum hose.
    Again hopefully someone can assist me, I would be very grateful!
    Attached Files

Sorry, everything that melted is on The RIGHT hand side.

Comment

For further clarification of the photo ( the melted vacuum lines are those touching and behind the dipstick)

Comment

If the pipes you are referring to are the ones I think you are - high pressure fuel lines, supply and return.

Comment

The pictures are way too small and blurry to see much, but it looks like it might be the remains of the secondary air injection hose that connects the air pump to the exhaust valve (often incorrectly called an EGR valve). If so this wouldn't stop the car running or the throttle from working, but it would cause exhaust gasses to leak out of the valve when it's opened (cold start).

As Thrumbleux says, the high pressure fuel feed and return are also in that shot, so check them extremely carefully for any damage. If the fuel feed has kinked or if restricted by being partially melted it would be starving the engine of fuel. To be honest you are pretty lucky you didn't end up with a huge fire.

Comment

This might help >> https://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guide...ine-components

Last pic shows the corner of the engine bay in question.

Comment

I think the pipe causing you grief may be the one labelled '' fuel tank airline''.
              It is, I think, part of the evaporative control system and connects to a charcoal canister under the floor on the LHS (viewed from the rear - standard practice) next to the fuel tank. It is part of emissions control but I don't know whether it is monitored by the ECU such that it could throw up the EML or deprive the engine of throttle response. Possibly it could. Once repaired (it has to be for safety) you will have an answer to that. If that is the pipe you are trying to identify.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X