Smart 450 oil covered driveshaft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart 450 oil covered driveshaft

Hi, I have noticed my smart 450 petrol 700cc has started leaking oil i think from the dipstick area, onto the driverside driveshaft which is then splattered all over the exhaust

Any ideas on what can be causing this? Thanks

Very first thing you need to do is clean all the oil off!! Then you can see where the oil is coming from. Once you know that we can tell you how to solve the issue.

John

Comment

• mottofreee
      mottofreee commented
      Editing a comment
      Justly . Cleaned well and watched where it started.
      Oil flows from where it is, including whether the user has completed the oil on the engine and dropped a bit of oil beside.
      There are many reasons for being oil there, a photo (a @ b) is welcome.

Thanks i cleaned the dipstick tube and the area and went for a drive and the complete tube is coated with oil again. I also noticed the cat heater (i think it is?) has wet oil on a part of it

I will try and get pics asap

Comment

I suspect the turbocharger drain pipe or the base at the base of the oil dump pipe. But the result will appear over time.

Comment

Cleaned the dipstick tube and the top of the dipstick before going for a drive heres the image
        Attached Files

Comment

Returned with oil on it like this
          Attached Files

Comment

Clean the area again. Does the dip stick come out of the hole really easily? If so replace the "o" ring. You could try using a cable tie to hold the dip stick in place. The dip stick tube is known to come out of the hole where it goes into the block, so have you cleaned that area as well?

You should also check the top one way breather valve as it could blocked causing the crank case to be pressurised which forces oil out and any available hole.

John

Comment

Definitely check the engine breather one way valve, this is an extremely common failure. I'd go so far as to say they will all fail at some point.

Comment

Replace check valve . https://www.evilution.co.uk/Engine/t...ipe_repair.htm
                The valve is replaced periodically (at 10 years once?). It's not a waste to replace it since it needs to be changed anyway.

Comment

I have cleaned top breather check valve on many petrol Smart cars. There is a wee complication removing valve from rigid plastic tube but easy provided you are sufficiently smart. Heat rigid pipe be pouring piping hot water over it. Then release pipe by pushing pipe from its end. Pulling on pipe will only make it grip hose barbs tighter.

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
                    I have cleaned top breather check valve on many petrol Smart cars. .
                    What type of valve is it - eg, ball, reed, other?

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post

What type of valve is it - eg, ball, reed, other?
                      Spring loaded disc check valve.

Comment

• Thrumbleux
                        Thrumbleux commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Cheers!

Fitted a new o ring to the dipstick, it has a tighter fit now. Will go for a drive tomorrow and see

I think the oil where ever its leaking from is collecting on the engine mount on the right hand side and dripping onto the shaft from there

Thanks

Comment

Check the oil filler cap is on correctly and that the seal is not split. Clean everywhere so you can see where the oil is coming from by going for a drive and stopping often to have a look.

John

Comment

There should not be much pressure inside engine crank case so replacing dip stick o ring may temporarily cure the symptom but not the fault.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X