Help -new smart problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help -new smart problem

I have just got a 450 pure which has had an engine swap.When I went to see it I noticed it had an oil cooler beside the oil filter which I thought was a good sign for the health of the engine.
    My problem is when I get to @60 mph in 6th the engine dies and surges with a whooshing noise -I assume wastegate.Then I get 3 flashing bars and no drive.Pulling over the engine is in limp mode only revving to 1500 but no eml.This also happens in 4th and 5th.
    I have read about engine/gearbox incompatibility between different roadsters and 450's.As this engine has an oil cooler I am guessing it is from a roadster?
    There is a gearbox in the boot is there any way of telling what it is from?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Original Roadster only has an oil cooler (thermoflot).
    Diesel engines are all thermoflot.
    3 bars means a power train problem - a sensor or something else.

The quick solution is:
    - With the engine off, disconnect the battery from the battery for 10 minutes.
    Before you pick up the stereo code;
    The gearbox can be identified by the model on it (casting, relief). This is marked on the bell-housing .
    Possible speed sensor in gearbox defective. http://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides...sors-actuators

Comment

I have tried disconnecting the battery but no change.
      Can the speed sensor be tested?
      Car pulls really strongly in the first 3 gears .
      Thanks
      Just found a number on the spare gearbox 431.0.0339.90 -can any one identify it?
      Last edited by peanut450; 23-09-18, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Engine swap ?
        What about the gearbox, you still got the one from your own car?

Comment

I am still hoping to get my first Smart going.
          This Smart came with a "spare" gearbox which appears to be a 450 box from the number on it.I assume off the replaced 450 .
          From reading other posts it seems that a Roadster/450 gearbox is not a good combination so I am thinking of getting a Brabus ECU/Sam/speedo and key to fix this .
          Thanks

Comment

You mean your second Smart?

Comment

My first Smart is the one with the "light" tapping noise
              Second Smart is with the Roadster engine and now confirmed Roadster transmission.
              I have bought a Brabus ECU/Sam/speedo and key which hopefully will cure the problem .
              Thanks

Comment

Then you'll end up with a very powerful Smart 450.

Comment

As long as it is fully working thats the main thing.
                  Is the Roadster more powerful?

Comment

Originally posted by peanut450 View Post
                    As long as it is fully working thats the main thing.
                    Is the Roadster more powerful?

That engine in a Smart Roadster is rated at 80bhp. The ForTwo Brabus uses the exact same engine and gearbox, but with a different level of tune in the ECU which gives 75bhp.

Using the Roadster ECU/SAM is possible, but the Roadster clocks don't fit into a ForTwo without a lot of work, and there are other minor snags such as an inaccurate fuel gauge. Irrespective the Brabus ECU make the little ForTwo quite fast enough, especially with standard height suspension.

BTW when you get your Delphi clone, you will be able to code in your original keys to get some spares.

Comment

Will the 450's speedo work with Roadster control units I wonder?

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
                        Will the 450's speedo work with Roadster control units I wonder?
                        Maybe, but you'd have to program the EEPROM with the appropriate VIN, mileage and checksum.

Comment

I have fitted the parts but when I try to start all I get is 3 beeps.
                          Any ideas
                          Make sure both plugs on the dash are fully connected .Ooops.
                          Using my delphi diagnostic reader I finally found the key coding section and after a few attempts it worked and I could start the engine.
                          A short test drive confirmed I can now go over 60 mph .
                          Thanks
                          Last edited by peanut450; 06-10-18, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X