Replacing Cylinder head gasket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Cylinder head gasket

At the risk of sounding like a failure...
    Having rebuilt my engine (599cc petrol) I've now got symptoms of coolant getting in to the oil (emulsifiying on the oil filler cap) & combustion chamber (steam from exhaust)
    I followed the FQ101 guide mostly, but when it came to angle tightening the head bolts - there are different angle tightening specs on different sights, I only did 2 lots of 90 degrees as specified on Evolution and not 3 as shown on FQ101.
    I didn't use gasket sealer on the head as it looked so clean. Would that be advisable?
    and any clarification on the head bolt angle tightening would be appriciated.

Official smart documentation says 2x90 + 10 degrees, bolts not reusable, and there is tightening sequence.
    Dry fitment is as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post
      Official smart documentation says 2x90 + 10 degrees, bolts not reusable, and there is tightening sequence.
      Dry fitment is as it should be.
      Hmmm maybe I should be looking else where for the problem. Any ideas?

Comment

Are you sure there's a problem? If you have been doing only very short trips in this colder weather, the symptoms you describe could be due to that.
        To further check head gasket - compression test. If there is steam in the exhaust then open circuit between cylinder and cooling system. Water in oil points to a leak between cooling and oiling systems, meaning pretty bad gasket failure. Misfiring? Losing coolant?
        Oil coolers can do this but doubt if your car has one. If it has, strong possibility it's the culprit. Turbos can allow mingling of the fluids if cracked internally. Can't think of anything else (right now).

edit PS.
        Have a sniff in the coolant reservoir for smell of petrol.
        Last edited by Thrumbleux; 21-10-18, 09:50 AM.

Comment

When starting up from cold even without the coolant cap on there was sweet tasting steam coming from the exhaust. and after a few minutes running there was emulsified oil on the oil filler cap.
          I've taken the head off today. I can't see any problem with the gasket. Ive put a straight edge across the head and it looks perfect.
          I managed to rig up a pressure tester on the coolant jacket of the turbo and that checks out OK.
          Not sure where to go next. Pressure test on the head?

Comment

Oil could have leaked into coolant and coolant leaked into oil when you initially removed head.
            Cannot see any purpose in pressure testing head. If cracked, head would have leaked before rebuild.

Comment

As regards torque and angle turn, it apoears you got that spot on.

Elring, the German gasket maker also specifies 2x90 degree angle turn for the 0.6 engine. No mention of a ridiculous extra 10 degrees angle turn at the end.
              Last edited by tolsen; 21-10-18, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Note head bolts are only grade 8.8 and therefore normally no problem reusing. Obviously having first checked them to confirm they are not unduly stretched.

Comment

Retorquing head bolts in specified sequence sometimes cures problems like yours. Regrettably too late for that now.

Comment

Thanks for all this info Thrumbleux and Tolsen. I think I'm going to fit a new head gasket with some wellseal as an engine reconditioner has recommended it.

Comment

Give gasket time to settle after you have completed the two torque wrench cycles. Then slacken off each bolt in sequence and torque as per Elring.

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
                        Give gasket time to settle after you have completed the two torque wrench cycles. Then slacken off each bolt in sequence and torque as per Elring.
                        Elring?

Comment

• heinkeljb
                          heinkeljb commented
                          Editing a comment
                          See post above with settings

You use a new cylinder head gasket?
                        You restored planarity cylinder head?
                        Did you check the plane of the engine block?
                        Have you respected all the measures? (tightening order and tightening torque)
                        If these have been respected and the gasket is new and unused then the water penetrates elsewhere / otherwise.

Comment

So... I have replaced the head gasket again using a little Wellseal and the steam problem has disappeared.
                          Now I have a new problem...
                          The engine light stays on after starting - perhaps not surprising after the piston failure. I assume it will need to be reset?
                          But after a random period of running varying from idling for a few seconds to driving for a few minutes the yellow triangle warning light comes on and the engine will not rev above idle. I did get a mile or so down the road before it happened one time but the engine was then surging and would only manage 10mph. I can sometimes hear something clicking and the engine coughs just before it happens.
                          Any ideas?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X