Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow triangle warning light

Having just rebuilt my engine...
    The engine light stays on after starting - perhaps not surprising after the piston failure. I assume it will need to be reset?
    But after a random period of running varying from idling for a few seconds to driving for a few minutes the yellow triangle warning light comes on and the engine will not rev above idle. I did get a mile or so down the road before it happened one time but the engine was then surging and would only manage 10mph. I can sometimes hear something clicking and the engine coughs just before it happens.
    Any ideas?

You really need to read the fault codes to find out what is causing the light. Engine not revving above idle could be a problem with the electronic throttle or the pedal assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlo View Post
      Having just rebuilt my engine...
      The engine light stays on after starting - perhaps not surprising after the piston failure. I assume it will need to be reset?
      It should, in the absence of further fault codes reset itself after a few engine starts.

Comment

Update:
        The electrics went a bit mad at one point. even the radiator fan started up before the engine had warmed up.
        The fault code I'm getting is P0120 so obviously I've googled it and it relates to the throttle position sensor.
        I also found some posts suggesting that this fault can occur after fitting a new alternator - which I did while I had the engine stripped down as it has seized in the past. There were 2 connections on the alternator. I assume one is an earth?
        Along the way I've replaced the engine earth strap and checked the throttle over but it hasn't made any difference.
        Any help appreciated.

Comment

Ground for the alternator is through the metal body and the engine grounding. There were three different alternators fitted to the ForTwo and they are not compatible, do you have the original alternator to compare the terminal markings? The second terminal on the alternator is usually for supplying external excitation to the field winding and labeled "PH IN" on the Smart.

Comment

Originally posted by mikerj View Post
            Ground for the alternator is through the metal body and the engine grounding. There were three different alternators fitted to the ForTwo and they are not compatible, do you have the original alternator to compare the terminal markings? The second terminal on the alternator is usually for supplying external excitation to the field winding and labeled "PH IN" on the Smart.
            IMG_8385.jpg The old alternator looks like this. D+ wasn't used. The new alternator supplied by Euro car parts also has 3 terminals but I can't remember what the markings were. It seems to be charging nicely at 14 volts.
            Could the alternator in theory cause the problem with the throttle?

Comment

To answer my own question, Yes it can!

Comment

What kind of error is it? Active error or stored error.
                Delete the errors, the active ones can not be deleted.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X