Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Park Lights light when the foot brake pedal is pressed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Park Lights light when the foot brake pedal is pressed.

Greetings All, Merry New Year.
    Here's a curly one??
    I'm guessing there's a 'poor' earth, that is causing these problems - but where is it???
    I noted on a friends 700cc Fortwo Cabrio of 2003 vintage that when she applied the foot brake, the front park lights came on?? Lights were not turned on - strange I thought.
    When I mentioned this she also mentioned something else was not right with the car, randomly the ABS light and warning Triangle in the speedo would light but the car would drive as normal.
    When I had a look, I also noted that,
    1) with the ignition on or off (engine not running) with the foot brake applied the back light, of the LCD in the speedo, would dim as well as the park lights illuminating - brighter than dim but not full bright.
    2) with the engine running, rotating the light stalk to full lights and back to lights off, a few times, the ABS & Triangle lights would illuminate and remain on. With the engine stopped, these two warning lights would remain as normal - they would not turn them selves back on.
    The car otherwise behaves normally - these are the only problems.
    Once I'd rotated the light stalk and the ABS & Triangle lights illuminated with the engine running, stopping and starting the engine again would sort that problem, until I twiddled with the light stalk again.
    OK, light stalks are a 'known' problem so out with the spare, fitted it - same problems - took the light stalk out of my car (no problem with my car) fitted it - same problems.
    So, it's not the light stalk.
    Me thinks, there's a faulty earth somewhere?? But can anybody please tell me where to look??
    Are there any other possible suspect causes.
    Other than that, the car changes gears normally in A, M or R and the brakes work as they should.
    Cheers, Ian.

Wrong type brake/parking light bulbs or incorrectly fitted.

Comment

As above, also check the bulb fittings as these can melt and cause problems.

John

Comment

Greetings, Tolsen & John, Thank you both. Spot on. The actual bulbs were the last thing I'd have thought of - I mean how hard is it to change a light bulb???
        So, I asked the question, has anybody replaced a light bulb? Oh yes, my 'helpful' neighbour a few months ago. OK, which one, oh I think it was that one. Right, so off with the rear right light assy., bulbs out, defect sorted. Inspect bulbs, the brake/park light bulb was just an ordinary 21W single filament bulb - bugger. Correct bulb (twin filament, 5/21 Watt) fitted, along with the others and defect still sorted. So, again you 2, thank you.
        I was not expecting such a simple fix. As we all (should) know, Smarts are not simple cars, even though they are small.
        But if you do a proper job, it'll work.
        Cheers, Ian.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X