PowerFlex Rear Beam Bush Mount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerFlex Rear Beam Bush Mount

Would anyone know if the PowerFlex rear beam bush mount for the 451 also fits the 450 rear beam?

https://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-...ush/12557.html

Also, has anyone changed out their rear beam bush and if so, how difficult a job was it to do?

I'm going to be changing out the clutch on my 450 this month. While I'm there I'll be renewing the front engine mount and including the PowerFlex front engine mount bush kit but thought perhaps its a good idea to do the rear beam bush also at the same time?

I'd leave that bush where it is. It will be a pig to remove and lack of space won't help.
    Also, the bush needs to accommodate roll - which the standard one will do much better than a plastic one. Spend the money on the 13mm anti roll bar (if yours is the 11mm one) for a much better result.

Comment

I have never heard of anyone changing that bush. Smart does not sell the bush on its own and it only comes with the complete deDion tube costing an arm and a leg.

I can see no point replacing that bush unless it is worn out. Big job to replace. Cannot be done in situ as risk of fire. You have to burn out the old bush and hope you have friendly nabours that do not mind the smell of burning rubber.

Comment

I removed rear anti roll bar on my 450. No difference in handling and better access to certain things. The 451 has no rear anti roll bar so why fit one on a 450?

Comment

Better grip on ice and snow without rear anti roll bar.

Comment

I fitted the 13mm rear ARB to my 450 and it gave a noticeable though not huge reduction in body roll. The 11mm bar has the stiffness of a wet paper bag (can literally be twisted by hand) so any improvement in traction with it removed is imaginary.

I wonder why Smart would fit an ARB if they though it wasn't needed. I suppose it's like the steering damper they fitted just because they wanted to increase production costs.

Comment

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I'll look to invest in a 13mm ARB instead

Comment

I should add - when I fitted the 13mm bar, the car was already on lower stiffer springs and 195/50 - 15 tyres alround - so I don't know what change the bar alone makes.
                On a lowered car for certain it reduces understeer. Lowering dramatically improves the handling, especially the steering - no more double inputs for every corner.

Comment

The added mass of the thicker anti roll bar results in slower acceleration. Better removing your rear anti roll bar. A lighter Smart is a faster Smart.

Comment

Changing compouds is more for the sporty smart driver, who wants that little bit more performance

I fitted a aftermarket rear beam mount bush (several times, on different 450 smarts) from smart4youracing .
                    They have 3 different compounds.
                    Removing the rear beam mount bush isnt hard to do
                    No need to use any kind of heat,fire , just take a chisel and a hamer and 5 min of your time .
                    Fittingthe rear beam mount bush is very easy to do .

you can also fitt the powerflex engine mount inserts in the front engine for more stability and less play in the bushings
                    Due to these adjustments, there is less loss in momentum when accelerating and shifting.

Comment

Changing compouds is more for the sporty smart driver, who wants that little bit more performance

I fitted a aftermarket rear beam mount bush (several times, on different 450 smarts) from smart4youracing .
                      They have 3 different compounds.
                      Removing the rear beam mount bush isnt hard to do
                      No need to use any kind of heat,fire , just take a chisel and a hamer and 5 min of your time .
                      Fittingthe rear beam mount bush is very easy to do .

you can also fitt the powerflex engine mount inserts in the front engine for more stability and less play in the bushings
                      Due to these adjustments, there is less loss in momentum when accelerating and shifting.

Comment

Originally posted by ossy
                        And more noise and vibration under all conditions. It's a big trade-off to make on an already noisy car.

Comment

More vibration isn't kind to electronic components.

Comment

''you can also fitt the powerflex engine mount inserts in the front engine for more stability and less play in the bushings
                            Due to these adjustments, there is less loss in momentum when accelerating and shifting.''

Maybe 120 degrees of crank rotation - taking about 0.005 seconds at 4000rpm.

Comment

''you can also fitt the powerflex engine mount inserts in the front engine for more stability and less play in the bushings
                              Due to these adjustments, there is less loss in momentum when accelerating and shifting.''

Maybe 120 degrees of crank rotation taking 0,005 seconds at 4000 rpm.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X