Oh dear!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh dear!

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have a 2000 Smart with the huge 599cc petrol engine. Mileage is just over 126000.00. I bought her from a well known auction site in the UK over 7 years ago, then drove her to Portugal the next day! 12 hours from Santander to the Algarve only stopping to give her a rest ha ha ha. Mileage when I bought her was just over 76000.00. Yes, she called "Chance" because I took a chance on driving her all the way to Portugal.
    I have just had an engine rebuild( basically, everything except the pistons). Picked her up from garage and after a few days of driving her, very carefully I might add. I noticed she would loose the will to live when she saw a hill.
    Took her back to garage and mechanic said he found a pipe had come off !. after about 800 miles of literally pottering about I decided to have a look at the plugs. Bought new ones just in case she needed them. In all my years of changing plugs, I have never seen anything like it! You couldn't even see the electrodes for black gunk!!!!!. Why?. I took the plugs to show the mechanic and he said " Ooohh, that's not good", No s**t Sherlock was my answer. I took her back to the garage and said he needs to sort the problem out, Pleeeaasse. I have just picked her up and she is clearly down on power and I dare not put my foot down as she just won't go. Thank goodness for all the new speed limits here. I don't feel so bad going slow! The mechanic has said that the turbo is the problem. he has tested it and the pressure is too low. I can safely say that I know nothing about turbo's but it is brand new and I did make sure that it was one of the ones that had the strengthened manifold.
    Does anyone on here have any ideas as to what the problem could actually be? I have also noticed that she gets up to running temp quicker than normal and if I sit in any traffic, her temp goes up into blob 4. This has never happened before!
    Thank you for reading this long arse intro and any help will be appreciated.

If the plugs are still really black and clogged up, then it is burning oil. Two place the oil could come from, Piston rings and the Turbo. The temperature issue is most an air lock (search on here for methods to cure) in the cooling system. It could also be an result of the water pump not working correctly.
    The Turbo could be faulty even though it is new - do you trust the Mechanic? If the Turbo is properly connected, then make sure all the pipe work, intercooler are clear inside. There should be a big difference in the power the car makes driving down the road with the Turbo connected and with it disconnected.
    A clean cloth over the Turbo pipe leading to the intercooler will show you if the Turbo is spitting out oil.

John

Comment

• Alijt
      Alijt commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your comments heinkeljb, Known the mechanic for a good few years now and he seems happy when I take my other cars (Mk1 Golf Cab and 99 Audi A6 Avant). I think he cries inside when I show up with the Smart ha ha ha. I do most things mechanically myself but the engine on the Smart was just too much for me to tackle outside with no garage or help. I will investigate the things you have mentioned and post any results on here. It may be a while as I work full time and it gets darker earlier at the mo. Thanks again

Obviously the engine is burning a lot of oil, is it smoking badly?
    Three things come to mind,
    1. Piston rings not fitted properly. How competent is the mechanic?
    2. Head gasket blown, you mention heating up real quick. Have you checked oil/water? I know you can test the water for exhaust gas contamination.
    3. Badly manufactured Turbo.

Just a few thoughts.

Comment

• Alijt
      Alijt commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mr T. Not smoking from exhaust but I can smell exhaust gasses when I drive with window open.
      Water and oil levels ok at the mo. I have had to top up oil a few times since rebuild. Heater blows warm into the cab and leave it on whilst driving.
      I have never needed to top up water since buying her. Will check for airlock.
      Mechanic seems competent but I do get the feeling he doesn't want to see my Smart again...ever..
      I will check out items in yours and other posts asap and leave feedback. Thanks

A little bit of an update. So I have been speaking to my son in the UK about all things turbo, Granted, he is more used to more powerful turbos than mine.
    He mentioned that as I had had an engine rebuild which included a new turbo , I might have to have it mapped. The turbo I bought was one of the upgraded ones that is strengthened across the manifold. My old one had many many crack in it. Prior to the rebuild my smart car still ran but I left a cloud of smoke in my wake whenever I put my foot down. It would happily fill the MOT garage with smoke!!
    I went to get supplies from the supermarket the other day and noticed that with the extra weight in the boot. Lots of bottled water and cat food, She actually seemed a lot faster, like the turbo had a word with it's self.
    Is it possible that the brain is still working with the old turbo and hasn't realised it has all new shiny bits and bobs.
    Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comment

The ECU will get all it's info from the various sensors connected to the engine. It does not need to be "told" there is a new turbo. The "Turbo" you are talking about is EXACTLY the same as the old one, except the MANIFOLD has a bit of extra strengthening to try and get rid of the cracking. So, if your engine is still not happy, you need to check that the various sensors are connected and working - the oil and water coolant feeds to the turbo are not leaking. Have you checked the impeller of the turbo to see if you have managed to get a faulty one? tick you finger on the end and try "wobbling" the shaft. A little bit of movement is normal, but lots is faulty and none is faulty. Check the Intercooler - these have a habit of getting a hole cut in them by the plastic scoop that feds cold air to the intercooler. If you are losing a lot of air out that hole, it is not going in the engine which is were in should be going.
      You can prove to yourself if the turbo is doing anything by taking off the pipe that goes to the intercooler and going for a drive without it connected. I am sure you notice how much of "slow poke" the car is without the turbo help. Now put the pipe back on and go for the same drive - any better?

John

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X