Will Oil become cheaper in 2021?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Oil become cheaper in 2021?

Greetings All, The reason I ask is, the Smart 450 Cabrio, 2003 model, is using oil at sadly a high rate, getting close to a litre per 800 Km's.
    The problem is, it's not, missing, running rough, sluggish, does not appear to be burning oil, dripping oil or hard to start. It does though need a new 12v battery but I've never heard of that being a reason to devour oil. The oil used in the engine is Fully Synthetic and always has been regularly changed.
    I have removed the non return valve and replaced it with a fuel filter and allowed to vent to atmosphere. The throttle connection has been blanked off. So, it's not the non return valve failing, as it's not there to allow turbo pressure enter the crank case. But still the oil is being used. If the engine was running rough or hard to start, I'd suspect the rings / valve guide seals but no the engine appears to be fine. This has me a little confused, there's no oil on the ground or splattered about the engine / compartment. The dip stick stays where it should. Next direction of though is, the turbo oil seals but how do you test them?
    I don't really want to fit a new turbo, unless I have to.
    Are there any other thoughts / things I should look at or constipate on please?
    Hopefully, this year will be Smarter, than last year???
    Cheers, Ian.

If your engine is using oil at that rate, I would suggest you start saving rapidly for an engine rebuild! At some point it is going to start running on two cylinders because it has chipped a valve. It would be cheaper as less parts to have to replace (although I would still replace any part which looks worn). The rings are most likely stuck in the grooves and that's why it is burning oil. The CAT does a very good job of cleaning up the smoky exhaust - I know this because mine did exactly the same. Had the engine rebuilt by Fudge and it was as good as ever afterwards.
    John

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X