452 Roadster engine into a 450

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 452 Roadster engine into a 450

Now I am sure someone on here will have retrofitted a 452 Roadster Engine into a 450 CityCoupe
    If I got hold of a Roadster engine [incl its ancillaries, turbo, manifolds etc] would it run on a standard 450 ECU ?
    Or if not could the standard 450 ECU be remapped to run the 452 engine?
    The reason I ask is I have a Xreg [Dec 2000] 450 with 100k of the odo that has piston ring failure and know the Roadster 452 engine has "benefits"

Hi
    I don't know if this article will help you
    https://www.fq101.co.uk/articles/29-justrules-new-project-fortwo

Comment

When I bought my 450 it came with a replacement engine put in by a previous owner.
      It would not go over 60 mph without cutting out.
      After some online help I worked out it has got a roadster engine and gearbox installed.
      To cure it I had to buy a Brabus speedo/SAM/ECU as the gearbox ratios are not the same as a 450 box.
      I only have the 450 manifold/turbo so have not got the full benefit of a 452 swap.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr T View Post
        Hi
        I don't know if this article will help you
        https://www.fq101.co.uk/articles/29-justrules-new-project-fortwo
        Cheers for that
        So as long as I do a fair bit of parts swapping and retain the original gearbox it has the potential to work!

Comment

Originally posted by peanut450 View Post
          When I bought my 450 it came with a replacement engine put in by a previous owner.
          It would not go over 60 mph without cutting out.
          After some online help I worked out it has got a roadster engine and gearbox installed.
          To cure it I had to buy a Brabus speedo/SAM/ECU as the gearbox ratios are not the same as a 450 box.
          I only have the 450 manifold/turbo so have not got the full benefit of a 452 swap.
          Reading that fq101 article it would appear that the problems with your 450 was that the 452 roadster engine was swapped in along with its gearbox
          So if I retain the 452 manifold/turbo with the roadster engine BUT use my original 450 gearbox it has the potential to work!

Comment

I was told that the 452 with 450 gearbox is not the best combo due to the difference in the ratios.
            To get the full potential you would need the inlet pipe from a 452 or brabus.
            Also a 450 exhaust is a smaller diameter than the 452 manifold so you would need to weld the 450 pipe to the end of a 452 exhaust or find a brabus 450 pipe.

Comment

Ah! OK that all makes sense
              So for the best outcome I'd need 452 engine, box, exhaust, inlet pipe and ECU . . .
              not as simple a 'fix' as I thought

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X