Replacement Gear Shift Module

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Gear Shift Module

Hi Everyone, new to the forum but have owned a Smart Fortwo Cabrio (2006) for approx 5 years. The car isn't used too often but usually after a charge it starts fine and drives well. Unfortunately last week, after a day on the charger, I put the key in to start it up and the key won't turn (also worth a note that the button on the gear shift module for the roof doesn't work either). I've been looking at replacing the whole module and have seen a couple on eBay. I've noticed they all have a number on the side of the module (mine is 000 7544 V003 C 28 Y) and the ones on eBay are all slightly different (000 7543 V003 C 28 Y for example). Can these simply be replaced by one that is similar or would anyone have any ideas of what the problem might be? Thanks

You say the key won't turn? Then instead of looking to replace modules, why not look at the item which is actually wrong? The barrels of the ignition key are known to drop down making them unusable. Look up how to access the barrel and sort that before looking at other things.

John

Comment

I've been online looking for the past few days. Pretty much everything I have seen has said to turn the key 90 degrees then pop out the locking pin. and as I've said, I can't get the key to turn, which is why I asked about replacing the whole module. I'm more than happy to replace the module if I can get one that is suitable.

Comment

I don't know if you've read this https://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?menu=info&mod=1577 it might help.

Comment

tried all the methods in the link. not sure what's left to try which is why I was asking about replacing the module with another one with a different serial number on it.

Comment

If it came from the same year / model as yours then it should work.

John

Comment

Brilliant. Thanks for the reply John. Davy.

Comment

Just giving an update..... got a module from a smart the same year and it works perfectly.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X