No announcement yet.

Engine cutting out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple of suggestions before you go too deep.
    Try tightening the bolt. Assuming there is still grip in the forward direction that is, Tightening can break the threads grip without jeopardising the flanks required for slackening. Penetrant/releasant first though.
    When I've rounded a Torx bolt I've sometimes had success by using Baco foil between the socket and the bolt head. Roll a bit up and place in socket then place on bolt head. Sometimes, it will tighten the grip just enough to permit removal.

Yes, forum a bit dozy today. See if this posts....

Comment

As it is a internal Torx (not sure what to call it) would the Baco foil be sutable?
      I am aware of the idea of tightening as a way of realeasing the threads.
      At least its not just me getting frustrated with the forum.
      ​Thanks

Comment

Yours is internal - like an Allen head? Seem to remember mine being male Torx ie, it accepts a female socket. Might your car already have had a CPS changed? If it is as you say, is there enough of a head to get it moving with a chisel?
        Forum better today - I had to re-log in. Maybe that was the cause of it being dozy.

Comment

Yes it is like an Allen head type. Not sure how much space there would be to get a chisel with space to use a hammer.
          Today slightly different as it cut out @60 with a single line in the display and as I was looking for a place to pull over it bump started but left the esp triangle light showing. A clue perhaps?
          Thanks

Comment

ESP light is probably a red herring, caused by the bump start where one rear wheel turned at a different rate from the other.
            Way out thought, have you checked your rear reluctor rings? Shouldn't have anything to do with cutting out, but with a Smart you never know!

John

Comment

Originally posted by peanut450 View Post
              Yes it is like an Allen head type. Not sure how much space there would be to get a chisel with space to use a hammer.
              Pretty sure mine was a male Torx head. The bolt came out but the sensor wouldn't....
              Worth trying the tin-foil trick - the principle is the same ie, take up the slack. Grinding paste is another trick - adds grip.

Originally posted by peanut450 View Post
              Today slightly different as it cut out @60 with a single line in the display and as I was looking for a place to pull over it bump started but left the esp triangle light showing. A clue perhaps?
              Thanks
              As per John's comment.
              Out of interest, when the engine quits, is the clutch released or does the engine carry on at the same rpm but with no power?

Comment

Tin foil trick was not sucsessful so had to resort to cuttting the bracket using a hacksaw blade bent at 90' sawing from the top down, Then using molegrips on the sensor twisting it I could see some moverment so after more sawing all the way through the bracket the sensor pulled up and out quite easily.
                Then just enough space to get the molegrips onto the head of the bolt and it came undone with not too much force.
                Now too dark to do more.
                Is it worth putting anything on the sensor to stop it siezing in?
                When the engine cuts out and then bump starts I am assuming the clutch is still engaged . Not sure if the rev counter is still showing anything as when this happens I am more concerned at looking at the dash lights and a safe stopping place if it does not restart. Will try to be more observant when/if it happens again.
                No time yet to look at anything else.
                Thanks

Comment

Progress!
                  Yes, a smear of grease will be worthwhile.
                  I know what you mean. I'm the same when something is going wrong - I never quite capture all the data! Just wondering if the clutch remaining engaged or re-engaging is a clue.

Comment

All back together again. I sprayed and connectors with electrical contact cleaner including the ecu plugs (again) cleared all the fault codes(all the same as before).
                    Started fine and left running for 20 mins .Real test tomorrow driving to work.
                    Thanks
                    Last edited by peanut450; 05-09-21, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Good luck! Let us know how it went.

Comment

So far Monday no problem,Tuesday after @20 miles cut out at 60 mph then bump started after 5 secs but I did not have time to see what the rev counter was doing.
                        Weds no problem.
                        Thanks
                        Last edited by peanut450; 08-09-21, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Can't remember if this has been covered already - is the wiring in good condition especially the transmission loom where it is close to the intercooler scoop? I seem to recall mine cutting out when there was a chafed/broken wire there.

Comment

The loom looked Ok when I did the cps and was not being trappped by the scoop. I have had a look before at the loom around the gearbox and it did not appear to have any external damage but will have another look .
                            Today I drove to work(26 miles) fine and then after sitting at idle parked up in neutral for @2 mins the engine stopped and I restarted it straght away . The drive home also was fine .
                            Thanks

Comment

Next place to look is the SAM. Take it out and open it up to see if there are any dry joint / corroded joints etc. Your description does suggest a loose connection.

John

Comment

Today after @18 miles at 60 mph engine cut out and I managed to look at the rev counter and it dropped sharply from @3000 downto 1000 as it restarted in 5th gear-was in 6th before.
                                Rest of the journey ok then the run home ok.
                                Thanks

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X