Engine cutting out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine cutting out

A few times when driving the engine cuts out all the dashboard lights come on and after @20 seconds it "bump starts" and the engine is back working.( no error codes)
    This has only happened on a 3 blob hot engine and at a steady 60 mph.
    From searching it seems the crank sensor could be at fault .
    Any other suggestions ?

Crank sensors tend to stop the engine running when it's idling then not permit re-starting until a few minutes of cooling have elapsed.

I'd check the big electrical connections - the earth leads in the engine bay were always a bit lame on these cars.

Comment

I find this very useful based on the above reply, nice upgrade on the original, the disconnect makes it easy (have one, will buy another for car no2)

https://www.smartmods.co.uk/shop/pro...arth-lead-kit/
      Last edited by 2fortwofamily; 06-05-21, 10:08 AM. Reason: forgot to add link

Comment

I will look over the earth leads at the weekend in case they are bad but I remember checking them @ a year ago.
        Thanks

Comment

Battery leads also.

Comment

Have taken the earth leads off and they were all were clean from the last time I did them.
            I have added another earth lead from the same earthing point as the braided one . I remember reading a suggestion that adding an earth cable to the bolt that holds the dipstick tube could improve the earthing.
            I also replaced the valve on the breather as it had become a 2 way valve- could this have caused a problem?
            Thanks

Comment

I earthed mine at the dipstick tube - to earth the ignition coils rather than them earth through the head gasket interface and Loctited bolts.
              Breather valve shouldn't have caused your problem - but needs sorting so as well done.

You don't have a jailer's key ring on your ignition key do you?

Comment

Just ignition key- no key ring jailers or otherwise

Comment

This week it happened 3 times. Twice as before @60 mph engine died then restarted- quicker than before in about 3 seconds.
                  The third time was at a set of lights so was stopped when it stopped . Started straight away .
                  Have found some fault codes using a delphi reader .
                  P2040
                  B1020
                  B1014.
                  Have hopefully cleared them so will see if they reappear.
                  Thanks

Comment

What do the codes relate to as descriptions?

Comment

P2040- Evaporator to hot . I assume this is a/c related but I do not have a/c.
                      B1020- No CAN message from control unit Engine control module
                      B1014-
                      No CAN message from control unit Engine control module Instrument Cluster
                      So maybe a dodgy connection on the SAM or instrument cluster ?
                      Any thoughts?
                      Thanks

Comment

Just had a look at FQ101 but P2040 not listed. AFAIK, P denotes powertrain. Not sure is AC comes under powertrain or not.
                        Dodgy connection plausible. Engine control module (MEG) is the one incorporated into the air filter box. I think I'd look there first.

Comment

Have finally managed to dodge the showers and have unplugged and plugged the two connectors on the MEG.Could not see any corrosion .
                          Cut out twice this week once when cold after about 2 mins whilst stationary waiting for a gap in traffic and also at slow speed when hot .Did not bump start at slow speed but restarted as soon as I stopped and tried the key.
                          Will see how this week goes .
                          Thanks

Comment

Lasted for 5 days before cutting out at low speed so did not bump start.
                            Restarted straight away .

Comment

Crank sensor is not exactly an expensive part, so I would change I would change it just to eliminate it from the list of possible causes.

John

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X