Jackhammer sound coming from engine 450

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackhammer sound coming from engine 450

There is a jackhammer sound coming from my engine. The jackhammer sound comes only when the vehicle is parked “idle”. The sound is present on N gear D gear and R, but it disappears as soon as I step on the gas pedal or accelerate even little. The sound can be properly heard from inside the vehicle and outside the vehicle more especially behind on the driver’s side, and in the tip of the exhaust pipe. However, when I looked under the sound got lauder from the passenger side. This sound started when I was parking at a residential area, at first, I thought that it was sound from a jackhammer nearby, but then I found out it was my car. The vehicle drives normal. Just as if there is no issue.

Recording of the sound https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cUB...Cn6GW0rX5/view

1 month ago, I changed engine oil, then 2 days after the sound started, I added engine to see if it would help but the sound is persisting.

Clutch - judging by the fact it disappears when driving - when it will be engaged.

Comment

Probably clutch pac straps broken, fairly common thing to happen. Simplest repair is to replace the clutch pac.

Comment

I have taken the car to the garage with parts that i bought. However today the garage called and informed me that the clutch does not fit. The clutch that i bought is VALEO Clutch Kit 832141. I thought it would fit as it was recommended after i punched in my license plate on the web shop. Now I am confused. The old clutch, probably the original had the part number 30210072.

Comment

Unless the Gearbox has been changed previously, the part numbers you have listed show up as fitting a Smart 450 in MrAuto.com's site. The clutch is handed because it has a locating peg, so you do need to get it round the right way. Has the garage you have taken it to ever done a clutch o a Smart 450 before?

John

Comment

The garage does not specialize on Smart vehicles, therefor I dont think they have ever done a clutch job on a Smart 450. Honestly I have a feeling that the issue is lack of knowledge on how to fit the clutch. Based on my own research I have found several web shops that have listed VALEO Clutch Kit 832141 as clutch for Smart 450. They want me to buy another clutch and I am out on cash. So I am stuck.

Comment

SUCCESS! Thank you so much guys. The Clutch and Release bearing has been replaced. The jackhammer noise is totally gone and the car drives normal. VALEO Clutch Kit 832141 fitted without problems. The costing was as following: Clutch 312 USD, Release bearing 65 USD, Labour 564 USD . Total = 941 USD.
              Last edited by McBoatface; 19-11-21, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X