Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Anyone help

Hi All,

I have a smart 450 grand style that has done 148,000 miles, I have a problem at the moment that is, with the key at position one, I can select 1st , neutral and reverse gears, when I start the engine, I cannot select any gears at all and after a couple of minutes trying to select a gear, the three bars apply on the dash broad, has anyone any ideas what can be happening here.

Many thanks Spike6511

Try this.
    Start engine, push gear lever left then forwards twice. DO NOT TOUCH BRAKE PEDAL. If it engages first gear then you have a faulty brake switch.
    However, I suspect you probably have a more serious fault and I'd check the clutch actuator - check that is still there where it's supposed to be and not hanging in the breeze by its cable.

Comment

Wow, Thrumbleux, your amazing, it worked. It is still up on jacks at the moment, but I tried what you said, and it engages gear and the wheel started turning, but a little bit of judder, do you think that this will disappear when it is on the ground.

The actuator is still there, I painted the subframe yesterday and its definitely there.

Tried it again, it now won't start.........
      Last edited by Spike6511; 08-09-21, 02:48 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Something more serious than brake switch by the sounds. Maybe clutch but the no-start is ominous. I had that after a 3bars problem and replaced the gear selector motor and gear position sensor and still it had to be trailered to a smart dealer to get it to start and it wasn't straightforward for them either.
        You could try disconnecting the battery and see if the ECU re-sets.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X