Overheating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating

I am new to Smart cars, today whilst I was stuck in traffic I noticed the temp gauge rise to within 2 bars of the top,I was concerned so pulled over and let the engine cool down. Is this normal? How does the engine in a smart car cool itself?

Re: Overheating

I wouldn't know about my engine temperature, my 451 CDi Passion doesn't have a temperature gauge. Do any 451's?

Comment

there are only 5 blobs.....so when you say 2 from the top do you mean the middle one?

i would say the middle one or the one above should be ok if stopped in traffic.

the car has a radiator in the front and, IIRC, a radiator fan so next time you have been out for a while, park up and listen to see if the fan kicks in (at the front)

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk (tech 454) - www.quidco.com/user/417377/1833011/ (free £)

Comment

Originally posted by Red7 View Post
        I am new to Smart cars, today whilst I was stuck in traffic I noticed the temp gauge rise to within 2 bars of the top,I was concerned so pulled over and let the engine cool down. Is this normal? How does the engine in a smart car cool itself?
        3 blobs is optimum temperature, you should be taking it easy until this point anyway. The 4th blob can appear in traffic, just put the heater on full whack to get rid of some of the heat.

Originally posted by 57dibbs View Post
        I wouldn't know about my engine temperature, my 451 CDi Passion doesn't have a temperature gauge. Do any 451's?
        Yes, some.

Comment

As this is in the 451 section I'll hazard a guess in that you have an 8 bar temp gauge, 4 bars is normal and the radiator fan will kick in when it gets to 6 bars (2 from the top) mone never goes above 6 even when sitting stationary running for ages, 6 is as high as it ever gets......

Comment

My 451 regularly went up to 7 bars when stuck in traffic in London before the fan would kick in, this used to worry me but Mercedes assured me that 6 to 7 bars was quite normal when stuck in traffic, I had the car for 3 years and the engine never missed a beat and still sounded as sweet as a nut when i part xd it for the new CDI at Xmas, so i think Merc must be correct otherwise i think the engine would have been damaged. The new CDI has not got a temp gauge, it has a temp light insted that lights up just before the engine is going to overheat, I think I prefer having a trusty old gauge myself

Comment

Hi Thanks for the previous replies, now got more of a problem, overheating yesterday with red light on and 8 bar gauge flashing on and off, coolant low so topped up with water as out in the country then happened again! Not sure what to do now?

Comment

If you have this condition while the coolant level is ok, then you have an air lock in the system,
                and you need to bleed it.
                Look at the left side of the engine. You will see a water hose attached to the left side of
                the engine top. Disconnect, and wait for coolant flowing out.
                Note: you need to wait for coolant flowing from both the hose and the engine top.
                To prevent wasting more coolant than necessary, put your finger on whichever flows first.
                As soon as the other end flows, reattach the hose, and top up the coolant.
                You should use a 50/50 mix of coolant and water as this mix has a much higher
                boiling point than plain water, thus preventing throwups of coolent when hot.
                Bjorn

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X