Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Smart Fortwo 453 launches today at 18:00pm GMT.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SmarterAlex View Post
    The look of the 453 isn't something new. Way back in the heyday of Smart, there was a concept in this shape as a 4x4
    A 4x4 is different, they all have bonnets already. A 4x4 is not a city car.
    If you mean the Smart Formore concept then that was also front engined.

I'm not as disgusted at the design as I was when the 451 came out. I stood in the dealer looking at an all black passion feeling really upset that I had to buy one to keep the site going.
    I thought it was really ugly from the side and rear and just couldn't see passed the unpainted body kit. The car looked cheap and the inside was so boring.

Now I think the 451s they are selling now with the updated body kit or the Brabus models are the best looking fortwos.

So, I'm guessing the 453 will be the same, it'll be a grower. Once a few companies make body kits to protect the arches, there is far less to complain about.

Smart are still unique in the market. Other manufacturers just can't bring themselves to release a 2 seat city car, they all cram in 4 seats but 2 are unusable.

Comment

Would like to see photos of what's under that long bonnet other than just the brake servo, windscreen water bottle and wiper motor.

There is a grille at the front, so does that mean that the radiator is being placed there with long water pipes back to the engine in the boot?

or is it a dummy grille?

Comment

Set of images of the safety cell construction and the engine and gearbox on the Mercedes blog page. http://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.co...br453/#gallery

Comment

Thanks, I got the answer I was looking for, and some more interesting interior photos....

Bonnet open: You can just see the front radiator fan in the picture, and with a radiator up front that means water hoses run to the engine at the back of the car. And I just realised the wipers are now just like most other cars, a better system which stops wiper collisions with a bang which the 450 and 451 occasionally do in high side winds.

Its hard to tell but we have lost some cabin length due to the new longer bonnet (new car is almost the same length as the 451) so I assume its in the boot space. Will we still get the spare wheel between rear seat and boot cover?
          Why did they not design for a spare wheel location, considering a lot of us have one?

And oh dear we have lost our Ionic two instrument pods on central dash.

Last edited by ColSmart; 20-07-14, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Good pics thanks ColSmart, still don't see why the new bonnet can't be hinged with a stay like a normal car bonnet, also note that the windscreen washer nozzles appear to be on the bonnet, so it must have long trailing washer pipes ? The battery should be OK there becuase it will get heated by the air from the radiator, if anyone remembers the old mini with the battery in the boot, they did not function well in cold weather. It also looks like the headlight bulbs will be easier to reach ?

Comment

I prefer new pod layout look good and different. I'll miss battery in the car as I'm into car audio, so makes power cables easier to run. I prefer the current style wipers and would also prefer washer jets no on the bonnet. Spare wheel is no big deal, , smarts never had one so they are not going to start now.

Comment

Originally posted by ColSmart View Post
                There is a grille at the front, so does that mean that the radiator is being placed there with long water pipes back to the engine in the boot?
                Lol WUT? All previous rear engined smarts have a radiator in the front with pipes running under the car from front to back. I can't see this model being any different.

Comment

Originally posted by Evilution View Post

Lol WUT? All previous rear engined smarts have a radiator in the front with pipes running under the car from front to back. I can't see this model being any different.
                  Shows you how often I open a bonnet

Comment

The internal boot cover is hiding any space behind the seats. Looking at the front interior, the dashboard doesn't have as much depth meaning the windscreen is further in, creating a space for the external bonnet shape.
                    Last edited by SmarterAlex; 20-07-14, 05:35 PM.

Comment

LOL
                      Attached Files

Comment

It's a pity the for four has a B pillar. Could of had doors like a Meriva

Comment

It's a pity the for four has a B pillar. Could of had doors like a Meriva B-Max

Comment

What Car video. Shows how the rear seats flip over for a flat floor and a few other things. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq27yt3DFbY

Comment

It's a pity the for four has a B pillar. Could of had doors like a Meriva

That would have required Renault's agreement - unlikely to be forthcoming.
                            Anyway, it would have had to be built heavier without B-pillars as rear engined requires greater chassis strength within the wheelbase for frontal impact safety. Reputedly why VW dropped the idea of the UP being rear engined opting instead to radically repackage FWD. Or sticking the radiator atop the gearbox as the rest of us call it..

Comment

Photoshop job of a ForTwo cabrio http://www.theophiluschin.com/?p=6144

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X