Winter Tyres

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Tyres

Is anyone running on winter tyres? I've just stuck a set of 4 on & am quite happy with the grip they give compared to standard tyres especially for a rear wheel drive car.

The difference is like night and day. I always fit snow tyres when first snow falls. Got snow shoes too just in case. Bought used on eBay. Previous owner was someone named Robert F Scott. His name is engraved into the snow shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
      The difference is like night and day. I always fit snow tyres when first snow falls. Got snow shoes too just in case. Bought used on eBay. Previous owner was someone named Robert F Scott. His name is engraved into the snow shoes.

As per above - but for having snow shoes.
      In snow the snow tyres leave summer rubber for dead and in summer they aren't far off what a summer tyre can do (softer sidewalls make them slightly precise and they aren't quite as predictable at the limit as a really good tyre is). If I had to choose only one for all year running, it would be the winter tyre though that has a lot to do with geography - living in NE Scotland as I do.

Comment

Ditto - we bought winter tyres from Gaz 3 or 4 winters back and they go on religiously every year.

2 years ago when we had very bad snowfall our smarts (both fitted with winter tyres) were the only vehicles able to get in & out of our village. And some folks round here have 4x4s!

Comment

Originally posted by 137699 View Post
          Ditto - we bought winter tyres from Gaz 3 or 4 winters back and they go on religiously every year.

2 years ago when we had very bad snowfall our smarts (both fitted with winter tyres) were the only vehicles able to get in & out of our village. And some folks round here have 4x4s!
          I have a Land Cruiser with 33" BF Km2'a and the Smart with All season M&S gets better traction!

Comment

This is my 2nd winter season running on winter tyres (and steel wheels) and I would not go back to using normal or 'all season' tyres in cold weather again.

Comment

Originally posted by mccsmart2002 View Post
              This is my 2nd winter season running on winter tyres (and steel wheels) and I would not go back to using normal or 'all season' tyres in cold weather again.

That's the clincher I now use in the arguments where those who have never tried them say they aren't worth having/buying/ making any effort for. I point out that no one who has ever tried them says they they are rubbish.

Comment

I have bought a set of winters which are on my Fortwo now. No snow here but having used winter tyres on a BMW in snow I know the difference is huge compared to summer tyres. It gives me peace of mind as I have to get into work no matter what.

Smarts are good in snow anyway (and BMW's are most definitely not due to large low profile tyres and rear wheel driver generally).

My wife on normal tyres in her Smart has gone past an Audi Q7 trying to get up a driveway into a garage. She managed without issue even on summers. I bet the Smart is awesome on winters in snow !!

Comment

My Brabus fortwo is brilliant in the snow. I fit a set of passion wheels on her with winter tyres every winter. Also helps to keep the brabus wheels in mint condition as they are only used in the summer months. I also have a BMW X6 which has 21 inch wheels on in the summer and in the winter I fit 19 inch wheels again with winter tyres on. Never been stuck in the snow. Once you have used winter tyres you will realise the benefits and the only real expense is firstly getting another set of wheels as your tyres Last longer as they are only being used partly throughout the year.

Comment

Part of the reason I deciced to switch was the awareness campaign that smart UK did on Youtube about 3 years ago.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqNklZrdNBk

I heard many of the usual comments about how little it snows in this country, and that they don't make a difference, but I did some further research. I saw clear evidence of better grip and stopping distances in normal cold weather and much better on wet or flooded roads too.

Comment

I guess it really depends where you live. I live in London and in nearly 20 years never found the need for winter tyres, however I you are in rural areas then it's a no brainer

Comment

A good alternative is leaving the car parked and jump on the bus. Free rides with an advantage card and some busses have wireless broadband.

Comment

On my second year with the winter tyres and wheels, Well worth the investment got the old passion wheels with the winters on and the wider ones for the warmer weather.

Comment

The snow was quite severe on the tops here. Only thing missing from the Smart when snow tyres are fitted is a low box!

Last edited by Yorkshire Devil; 01-02-15, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X