Tyre sizes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre sizes

Another question .... and I have RTFM ;-)

The manual supplied with my car isn't quite the right one, and no where does it mention my 84bhp version. So the tyre sizes shown in the book are Front 155/60/15 Rear 175/55/15 on 4.5" & 5.5" rims or 175/55/15 195/50/15 on 5" & 6.5" rims but those fitted to mine are 145/65/15 and 175/55/15. The fronts seems a bit on the slim side :-?

(without removing a wheel and looking I don't know the rim size ...... they look like these on the front page http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/smart_alloys

Your book is telling you the right J width of the rim and the factory supplied rubber ,namely 4.5F and 5.5R (and that should be on the back side of the rim somewhere anyway) and 175/55 and 155/60

Maybe the owner fitted different rubber to the fronts?, are they are the same brand ?

If you use the various calculators on this page http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_size_calculators.html , you will be able to work out what max size rubber you can fit safely.... you can normally squeeze some slightly larger,but you must try and keep the difference between front and back rolling circ way below 5%

Don't forget wheels can be removed and swapped so they may not be the original rims that were factory fitted.
    Last edited by 10:45PM; 24-05-16, 07:05 AM.

Comment

All tyres are Conti's and all are in pretty good nick. I know where the rim sizes are ....... I've been known to remove rims to clean the back/inner lol ..... but am asking because my 84bhp isn't mentioned in my manual.
      Just wondered if anyone knew ie they have the correct manual. I'll phone Mercedes today. :-)

Comment

I'm guessing yours is a passion model? , because the 12 spoke rims (and the 'smaller' tyres) were standard on that regardless of engine power...afaik
        If you wanted the bigger rubber they were different rims and it had to be a pulse.

Comment

Originally posted by 10:45PM View Post
          I'm guessing yours is a passion model? , because the 12 spoke rims (and the 'smaller' tyres) were standard on that regardless of engine power...afaik
          If you wanted the bigger rubber they were different rims and it had to be a pulse.

You're right, it is a Passion. It's not that I want bigger rubber, I'm certain though that the rubber fitted at the front is smaller than it should be ie 145 instead of 155

Comment

Normally the tyre pressures are on a label inside the fuel filler cap.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr T View Post
              Normally the tyre pressures are on a label inside the fuel filler cap.

You beat me to it Mr T ... while having my Roadster MOTd today, the tester opened the filler cap & I had a 'Doh! moment' when I saw the tyre sizes & pressures. Got back & opened the Fortwo's filler cap & there it was .... just the choice of one front & rear tyre sizes & pressures. 145/65 was no where to be seen. For reasons known only to a previous owner, I have 145s fitted instead of 155s. They can stay there till till they wear out a bit ;-)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X