X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Fortwo Passion MHD

Hi All

Long story short, my nan currently owns a 2008 Chevrolet Matiz

She's 84 and loves to drive but has recently had a blood clot in her thigh and had to have surgery so they could fit a stent into her femoral artery I think it was, as a result she has kept her foot which we feared initially that she might lose but has lost feeling in it, enough that she can no longer safely drive a manual car.

We've been discussing car options recently and today we decided to put plans into action, we had decided that Smart Fortwo was the right car on paper for her so set about going to see a few. The main criteria was that she could easily get in and out and that it was an auto obviously.

We have been to see 2-3 today of varying vintages but Nan has decided that she has fallen in love with a White 2010 1.0 Fortwo Passion MHD which we have put a deposit down on this evening, rather hastily in my opinion.

I've checked it out the best I could giving my mechanical opinion of it and the rest was down to my nan, she trusts me with the engine stuff as I maintain all of my own vehicles, I have 2 Nissan Terrano's a 2.7 and a 3.0 (I'm also a moderator over at Nissan4x4OwnersClub

Would you guys be so kind as to give me some pointers on what other things I should check before handing over £2900 of my Nans cash? Is there anything specific to this era of Fortwo that I need to look for?

It's done 45,000 miles and had all of its services done on time at Smart etc, rust free underneath, no damage to undertrays, no drips or leaks coming from the engine, no cream in the engine oil filler or on dipstick etc and all the other normal checks that you'd do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Banshee

Oh dear OP. This will not go well. I'll give you a clue. mhd

Comment

When the MHD fails (sheds its belt) Nan will be stranded by the roadside. If she misses the temp warning light, then a big bill follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post
        When the MHD fails (sheds its belt) Nan will be stranded by the roadside. If she misses the temp warning light, then a big bill follows.
        :/ I've heard about the MHD doing this, I've been over to Evilution.co.uk and seen a nice retro fit temp gauge write up that I may follow, might also do the power steering mod too.
        Is there a certain mileage that they are prone to doing this and can I prevent it somehow by doing frequent belt changes or is there a retrofix? I'm pretty mechanical and will tackle most stuff on the drive.

I fetched it on Saturday, filled it up on the way home and dropped it off, Nans had a play in it again and it looks like we've made the right choice.

Comment

Seeing as you have now bought it, my best advice would be to sell it immediately before the belt snaps.
          You can fit a temp gauge if you like but really - how many people spend their entire life watching the temp gauge "just in case".

IF you decide to keep it, check the belt weekly, with engine off & running.

But really, SELL IT. Buy a different 451 - any 451 that's not an MHD.

You have been warned...

Comment

I work with two people who have MHD's in their families & both have never had a problem with there cars, that's jinxed them...lol.
            There is a known problem with the system, but it seems very hit & miss!
            Good luck & I hope your nan enjoys her new toy.

Comment

No disrespect, but for £2900, there is better deals to be had on non mhd 451's.
              Either get a petrol non Mhd or turbo 451.

Comment

Originally posted by Banshee View Post

:/ I've heard about the MHD doing this and it looks like we've made the right choice.

You've made a choice, not necessarily the right one, but a choice anyway.

If you'd heard about the mhd thing why on earth did you buy 1?

I wish you luck. You may be one of those mhd owners who doesn't suffer belt failure. The fact that Merc are on something like their 5th revision of the belt system to sort the problem suggests that you probably won't be OK, but, WTF.

Comment

I've done the deal now guys :/ I'm just going to have to do lots of research and do what I can to try and make sure it doesn't happen.

I'll keep an eye on the belt visually when I go over to see her every week, I'm going to make sure whatever the recall was has been done to the car.

I've also heard not using the MHD system can help prolong the belt life so I'll be looking at getting one of these fitted too as advised by the guys at thesmartclub

https://www.evilution.co.uk/electric..._start.htm#buy

Comment

Originally posted by Banshee View Post
                    I've done the deal now guys :/ I'm just going to have to do lots of research and do what I can to try and make sure it doesn't happen.

I'll keep an eye on the belt visually when I go over to see her every week, I'm going to make sure whatever the recall was has been done to the car.

I've also heard not using the MHD system can help prolong the belt life so I'll be looking at getting one of these fitted too as advised by the guys at thesmartclub

https://www.evilution.co.uk/electric..._start.htm#buy
                    The polly vee belt is running all the time, whether the stop/start is on or off. In effect, it's the fan belt, only it's used by the alternator/starter to spin the engine over to start the engine each time.

near the bottom of the page https://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?menu=info&mod=886
                    Last edited by EmilysDad; 27-08-17, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Thats a pity you bought the MHD (micro hybrid drive), as on Smart websites we keep warning everyone of such a duff belt alighnment design on this specific car.

Well now you have bought this car, just make sure you keep an eye on that belt every week, and any sign of wear, get the alighnment checked out and replace belt.

As for the small electronic DIY circuit, all it does is stop the 'start stop' tech from operating, and it is just as easy to tell the driver to press the disable start stop button every journey..This is the only Smart Fortwo in the 451 range that does have start stop tech, which to me is a total waste of time, as it saves either no fuel or very little fuel, and is just a 'green' con. But by turning it off every journey, you will cut down on wearing parts out with all that start stopping. i do that on my other make of car that has start stop.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X