Uprated Coils

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uprated Coils

Would fitting uprated coils, higher output voltage, have any detrimental effects on the spark plugs, as in melting the tips, or would it just provide a bigger spark? (451 84hp Turbo)

Just fitt the .... things and find out!

Comment

Interesting advice, and at 360€ for a set not a cheap undertaking. Past experience with coil ignition systems makes me cautious, so with little knowledge of ecu controlled systems I was hoping for some "expert" advice.

Comment

I can't see how coils alone can uprate the spark. A greater current draw if that is how it 'upration' is achieved may not be well received (read 'supplied') by the ECU, increased voltage multiplication may be at the cost of current.

If successful though, I can't see the plugs suffering - the main source of heat is combustion which is massively greater than the heat generated by the spark.

Comment

Thank you Thrumbleux for your sensible answer. From the little information that I have managed to read, the coils themselves are capable of working at a much higher voltage than standard, the ecu only sends a trigger pulse to the coil which then outputs the spark to the plugs. So hopefully the ecu shouldn't become stressed. The downside is that the only place I can find these uprated coils is from a tuner in Greece, and he only takes money by bank transfer, so until he gets PayPal I think it will be put on the back burner for the future.
          Last edited by cdfm; 12-09-17, 01:52 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake.

Comment

Dont bother
            This is the same "person" who claims the brakes he sells are made in England.... They are NOT
            Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

020 328 REMAP (02032873627)
            STAR diagnostics. Remapping. Dyno. Key coding
            TAN codes. SCN codes. Body shop. Trimming. Crash repairs

Comment

Originally posted by Big Performance View Post
              Dont bother
              This is the same "person" who claims the brakes he sells are made in England.... They are NOT
              Thank you for the advice, well and truly avoided.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X