Alarm, immobiliser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alarm, immobiliser

Hi everyone, George from Glasgow 'ere, just joined smart maniacs so please bear with me with my first post questions, here goes,

I recently bought Smart for two, grand style passion model 2014, I have a couple of questions, can anyone advise re alarm, immobiliser, I simply do not know if they are working, I have no chirps on opening closing doors etc, car doors do not lock after 60 secs ?

Also just noticed there is a small black toggle with cord attached left of steering wheel just under dashboard, again can anyone advise?

thanks for any help in these matters

Leave a window open before you lock it .... leave it a short time before you reach into the car & open the door from the inside. Is it noisey? 😉 Unlike a Roadster a 451 doesn't ask you to lock & unlock if you leave it before showing an immobilser armed key symbol, so I just assume, that as the car starts, everything is working as it should. 😊

Comment

• smart4u2
      smart4u2 commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks, I will try the window test

Sorry .... can't help with the toggle. It doesn't sound like a standard thing .... mine doesn't have one
    Last edited by EmilysDad; 09-10-17, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Factory alarms are pretty rare on most smarts.
      The 451 has the immobiliser built into a chip inside the key and is detected via the ignition barrel before you start the car, unlike the 450 where the immobiliser is deactivated by the remote.

If you are worried about the security of your 451, there is 2 things you can do that helps a lot.
      When you lock the car with the remote, double tap the lock button and it will dead lock the car, meaning it can't be opened by pulling the handle from inside.
      The other thing you can do is, leave the car in reverse before removing your key. This stops the car being towed away easily by thieves.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth451 View Post

If you are worried about the security of your 451, there is 2 things you can do that helps a lot.
        When you lock the car with the remote, double tap the lock button and it will dead lock the car, meaning it can't be opened by pulling the handle from inside.
        I've just learned something. As Mercedes believe that we'll all die if they fit dead locks to their cars, I'd assumed that my 451 wouldn't have them ...... I've just been out to my car & you're right, it has dead locks

it has an alarm too :-)

Comment

Glad it helped.

You shouldn't have anything to worry about regarding the security on your smart.
          I would recommend fitting a tracker as an extra precaution. They are cheap and easy to install.
          Don't fit it under the dash near the fuse box though, that's the first place thieves look.

I'm an auto locksmith by trade so hear a lot of experiences regarding stolen cars and how they are stolen.

PM me if you would like some info regarding a good hiding place.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X