• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cdi or petrol 2014

Hi all im looking to buy a 2014 smart should i go for diesel or petrol

cheers
    paul

Depends really on whether mpg is the reason for buying a Smart or ease of parking etc. My 451 petrol turbo does high 40s to the gallon but I believe the diseasal will do somewhat more. Short trips on any diesal car won't be kind to its DPF

Comment

Ok I would of thought you would have got 60mpg ??

Comment

Later (54hp) diesels with DPF etc are problem prone judging by internet traffic and the less troublesome (45hp) variant was an earlier fitment.
        When this (which engine in a 451?) arises the answer is usually 84hp turbo as the MHD is to be avoided, the diesels are either troublesome or short on power (45hp?), and the NA petrol (71hp) isn't rated as being much of an engine.
        Personally, going by all I've read, I wouldn't consider anything but the 84 turbo. Enough grunt and the most reliable. Depends of course, what you have in mind for it.

Comment

I've had a diesel 451 54bhp since July 2016. Great little, but aren't all Smarts! I have never had any problems with the car or in particular the DPF. Thrumbleux is right to be cautious. My drive is 70 miles round trip on the M40 then M25. The perfect drive for the 54bhp model. I sit at 60-70mph and the DFP cleaning cycle engages when required. With regards to the economy I normally get 80mpg, unless I've had a lots of FUN! The worst I've had is 70mpg (that was a fun week), the best was 91mpg. It depends what you are after, economy or fun. With help of Kane on the Evilition website and Rob at S2Smart, I have an I incredible amount of fun in my diesel. They are not as customisable as the petrol engine so sure. But economy vs fun ... your choice!

Comment

Originally posted by MRA View Post
            ...... With regards to the economy I normally get 80mpg, unless I've had a lots of FUN! The worst I've had is 70mpg (that was a fun week), the best was 91mpg. It depends what you are after, economy or fun. .....
            That's excellent economy. Though my 84bhp 451 'only' does high 40s mpg, it's twice as good as my other car.
            And you're a braver man than me using your Smart on the M25. I'm only on the motorway (M61) for about 2 miles on my commute & that's enough for me, particularly when it's windy.

Comment

I have owned my 2010 Cdi with PDF filter for 4 years now, great little car, and give around 80 MPG max, and maybe down to 70 MPG depending on run. The reason I went for the Cdi is it gives far better miles to the gallon than the petrol version. I have not had any problems at all with the DPF filter as long as you do long and faster runs in it, it burns the soot off.

If going for petrol, avoid the MHD, as it has inherent problems with the belt, which can snap and overheat and can destroy the engine. Better the 451 petrol turbo though you will get around 45 MPG.

i owned the 450 previously and the 451 is a bigger car, more cabin room and boot space, and is more stab le on the road. Note that only 5% of all 451's are power steering as it was an optional extra, but the non -power steering is easy enough to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by ColSmart View Post
                .... but the non -power steering is easy enough to drive.
                Maybe easy to drive, but bl00dy hard work parking it (for a town car .... some town cars even have a 'really easy' mode for their power steering)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X