Wishbone, genuine or pattern part?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wishbone, genuine or pattern part?

Hello everybody, this is my first post so be gentle with me.

My wife's 451 had an advisory on the MOT saying one of the osf wishbone bushes is showing signs of wear and will require replacing at some point. She is also getting the occasional knocking from the osf as well.

I am looking to replace the wishbone and want to ask whether I should use the MB part or save a few quid and purchase a pattern part.

I have found this website and it lists 10 wishbones ranging from £20 to £45. I haven't contacted MB yet but I have been told a genuine part is £85 ish.

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/oen/4513300010

So which is it genuine or pattern?

Some pattern 450 wishbones were found to have the incorrect angle for the balljoint mount with respect to the angle the wishbone assumes when fitted with the potential to overload the balljoint beyond its mobility limit.
    Not sure how similar the wishbones are on a 451 but if the same then possibly the same problem there.
    It was Tolsen who identified the 450 problem. Possibly he can better advise you.

Comment

Replace the bushes A4503330014

Comment

• Thrumbleux
        Thrumbleux commented
        Editing a comment
        That's how I'd do it.

Only £5 per bush from Smart if you ask for Smart discount.

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
        Only £5 per bush from Smart if you ask for Smart discount.

Yes I know. I assume the bushes are pressed in and a special tool or press is required, that adds a complication as I don't have the tool or a press. My thinking is if you take the arm off to replace the bushes it will be easier and quicker to replace with a new arm for the sake of another £30 or £40.

Comment

If you remove the wishbone(s) (and hack out the old bushes) can you take them to a garage or engineering workshop to have the new bushes fitted?

Comment

One can hire the tools.
            http://www.smartz.co.uk/showthread.p...h-fitting-tool
            My apologies for missing photos. Blame Photobucket.

Comment

Last edited by Mr NSB; 23-11-17, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post
                If you remove the wishbone(s) (and hack out the old bushes) can you take them to a garage or engineering workshop to have the new bushes fitted?
                For convenience I prefer to have a new wishbone. Take off old. Fit new one. job done.

Cutting out the old bushes finding some where to install new ones seems a lot of messing around considering the cost of a pattern wishbone.

So genuine or pattern part?

Comment

Given what I've seen of pattern wishbones for 450s (with the potential for catastrophic failure of the ball joint) I'd say genuine part would be my choice.

Comment

Keep the old pair just in case. Remember to adjust tracking once the new wishbones are fitted as pattern parts can be several Millimeters out.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X