Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart 451 Cabrio - Clutch/Actuator?

Hi

I've been having some problems with the transmission on my Smart fortwo (08, 60k miles) for a few months. Wouldn't always be able to put the car into reverse, although I found if you did it quickly enough the car would dutifully jolt into reverse.

Yes, I of course should have got it fixed as soon as it started playing up, as it was an intermittent fault that was totally random the garage I took it to just scratched their heads and sent me on my way.

Fast forward, haven't had any major problems recently, in fact the transmission had been relatively smoother and better. I was driving on Saturday and as I pulled into a junction (could only have been in first or second gear) the car just completely cut out, revs were still going but no power. Tried to turn the engine off then back on again - nothing. Fortunately had just pulled into a cul de sac so sat there with my hazards on til the RAC turned up.

After 10 mins or so, was able to turn the car on, chucked it into gear and drove to the side of the road to pull over while I waited for the RAC to check it. The engineer, drove it around in first and reverse in the road, said he couldnt really help with an intermittent fault and that it looked ok for the time being. RAC left, I begin to drive off in the opposite direction, as soon as the car tried to move from 1st to 2nd gear, same problem, cut out completely and just revved. Coasted to the side of the road where it wouldnt turn on for a little while, eventually got towed home.

After having a look around some forums and contacting some local Merc/Smart garages, I've been told I will likely need either a new clutch or a new clutch and actuator. If it's both, I've been quoted around £1,000 - if that's the case, I'll scrap the car as I was planning on selling for around 1500 anyway and can get around 500 for it as non-running currently anyway.

Anyone had any similar issues with their Smart? I'm hoping that this could be resolved without having to completely replace the clutch/actuator?

Thanks in advance

Nicole
    Last edited by ncaraglia; 15-01-18, 03:04 PM.

There's a few people having similar problems to you with at least one live thread on this forum and another on Smartz - where there is a thread by Mjoliner that details his 451 transmission woes with lots on clutch actuators.

You might be lucky and it only be chaffed wiring - which causes all sorts of problems.

Comment

Evilution, as always, has good information about this problem. https://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?menu=info&mod=701

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X