Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead smart?

Hi All,

Mrs Rave's Smart 451 (08 plate) has failed her MOT. Merc have quoted a four figure sum to make the repairs for it to pass, but I'm a bit sceptical of this figure.

The failures are:-
    • Offside Front Headlamp not working on dipped beam (1.7.5a)
    • Nearside Front Front position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.3b)
    • Nearside Front coil spring broken (2.4.C.1a)
    • Offside rear brake binding (3.7.B.1)
    • Nearside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
    • Offside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
    How much can I reasonably expect to pay (to a non merc garage) in order to get the car through the MOT? Or is it best that I lay her to rest?

Depends on how simple the fixes required are.
    If replacing the wiper blades solves the 5th and 6th issues then cheap DIY. If the mechanism requires attention.... Ditto lights. Bulbs cheap, further work expensive. Spring replacement any garage can do reasonably, binding brake will be well within their capabilities. A few hundred£ at most should see it sorted. NB. MB charge > £100/hour labour.

Comment

I would quote £150 to do the work

Comment

Road springs are best replaced in pairs. :-)
        I've not done a 451 but replaced them both on our 452, a couple of hours for the first spring & about half an hour for the other side so a competant garage should be able to do both in a couple of hours

Comment

Originally posted by daverave View Post
          Hi All,

Mrs Rave's Smart 451 (08 plate) has failed her MOT. Merc have quoted a four figure sum to make the repairs for it to pass, .....
          That's a scandalous quote

Or is it best that I lay her to rest?
          Not a chance for such simple faults

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X