Clunky front end on 2009 passion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunky front end on 2009 passion

Hi, I've recently bought my second Smart which is the 2009 1.0 MHD. Over the past few weeks since I bought it there has developed a clunking coming from both front ends when going over bumps and due to the state of the roads at the moment that's quite a lot!. I'm sure this isn't right but am looking for some ideas as to what it may be as I've read quite a few different views. Some say its steering rack/column related where others say its spring related. I'm planning on having a good look at it tomorrow but was hoping for some suggestions if pos. Thanks

Most common fault for front ent clonks on the earlier 450 model is the drop-links. This is the joining piece between the antiroll bar & the wishbone.
    I've had several go over the years on my 2001 model. It's quite a simple job to do, if the nuts behave themselves...lol.
    Good luck with your hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr T View Post
      Most common fault for front ent clonks on the earlier 450 model is the drop-links. This is the joining piece between the antiroll bar & the wishbone.
      I've had several go over the years on my 2001 model. It's quite a simple job to do, if the nuts behave themselves...lol.
      Good luck with your hunt.

As above, 450s will also clunk on bumps if the wishbone bushes are shot. Not sure if the same wishbones are used on the 451 but I suspect they are. If it is the wishbone bushes and you replace them, chances are you will replace the droplinks at the same time as removing them from the old wishbone can be very difficult - read impossible without cutting them.
      If the droplinks are fine and it is the wishbone bushes, consider rebushing your existing wishbone. That way, you can leave the droplinks undisturbed.

Comment

Hi Mr T & Thrumbleux, thanks for you posts and I think I've found the main issue. Mine is a 2009 451 and I couldn't really find any info on these models but now I have a bit of my own. I stripped the drivers side front end off completely and found the issue is mainly with the Anti-roll bar bushes. I get movement in both bushes when I lift this up or push down and I can see movement in the bush. As a precaution I'm going to change the drop links too at the same time. Picking it all up tomorrow morning so should have a result by lunchtime. I'll keep it posted. Thanks again

Comment

If the drop links are OK consider leaving them as the wishbone fixing is prone to seizing and being recessed is a PITA to work with, usually requiring surgery to remove. Dose them with releasant for later though if you go this route.
          Alternatively, as planned, replace them while you have it apart and....coat the exposed thread with something (underseal, etc) to keep the water off and slip a bit of rubber tubing over (if you have at hand) the exposed thread. You may have to remove them later...
          Good luck with current droplinks (whichever route) and good to hear it'll be fixed soon.

Comment

Front drop links on a 451 are conventional and are connected to strut, not slightly inboard on lower arm as on the 450. End result is less load on drop links and improved access for removal.

Comment

• Thrumbleux
              Thrumbleux commented
              Editing a comment
              Well remembered!

So only wishbones are common with 450.

• tolsen
              tolsen commented
              Editing a comment
              Wishbones are different because different lower ball joint. Wishbone bushes are same. Strut top assembly is same (steel disc at top of spring, top bearing, top bearing rubber mount and top nut). Front springs appear to be same but has different part number. Would be interesting to lay my hands on a 451 front spring so I can measure its dimensions.

All done guys. Biggest result was the new Anti roll bar bushes as soon as I put the new ones on I could see it was going to be the fix. I did replace both drop links in the end just for peace of mind. All in all in cost me around £35 and the difference is dramatic. Thanks for the support.

Cheers

Comment

Glad you got it sorted.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X