gearbox oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearbox oil

hi i have a 08 451 non turbo 71bhp model so i am going round in circles trying to find out what is the right gearbox oil for my car could it be dexron 1 or 11 etc what about atf i finaly went to my local parts shop on the advice of a mechanic and their books suggested the oil i have in my hands right now mpm s4 75-90 gl-4 this is a dutch company or netherlands do any of the more lerned people out there have any views on this subject as the said above oil is going into my car on the 20 september i just dont want to be wrong on this oil in down the road and bang my box is in bits hope you can help max

450s and Roadsters use ATF. Don't know what a 451 uses but its gearbox is not the same one fitted to 450s and Roadsters.
    If the SAE 75-90 GL4 is the correct (multigrade viscosity and wear prevention index) spec than any oil with those numbers will be fine (avoid GL5).
    If all else fails, when it comes to draining the box (and ensure the fill/level plug is removed first) if it contains ATF expect it be substantially thinner than any SAE 75-90 GL4 and red in colour. If not red and comparable thickness to SAE 75-90 GL4 then go with that. (If viscosity needs further clarification there's an ad hoc method to test (requires a test tube and snug fit ball bearing)).

Comment

The 451 does not use ATF in the gearbox.
      It uses ordinary gearoil SAE 75-90 (not Hypoid)
      Bjorn

Comment

thank you very much bjom you have now put my mind at ease so i have bought the right gear oil be it a tad more expensive than a normal run of the mill oil i will sleep soundly to night knowing i have the right oil max

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X