12 spoke Wheel, max tyre width?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 spoke Wheel, max tyre width?

Basically I'd like to know what is the maximum width I can go on these 12 spoke alloys.

Which 12 spoke wheels?
    Smart ones? If so, what tyres are currently on them?

Comment

Have a look at Evilutions website for which wheels you have, https://www.evilution.co.uk/mod/451-...ghlight=wheels
      We can then go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post
        Which 12 spoke wheels?
        Smart ones? If so, what tyres are currently on them?
        12 spoke.jpg

Front 155 Rear 175 and I'd like to know how wide I can co on these rims?

Comment

I'd advise you cross check rim diameters if you are interested in following what I did. I had Jetlines on my 450 which originally had 145 or 155 on the front and 175 on the rear. I put the 175 from the rear onto the front rims and bought new 195/50 for the rear. This was a big improvement and stopped the ESP intervening during severe understeer at ridiculously low speeds.
          There's a few who say 175 is to wide for the front Jetline but I never had a problem with them. If your front rims are wider than my Jetlines then neither will you, If the same, you'll have to decide if you want to take the risk if 175 and 195 appeals.
          That was an intermediate set-up before fitting Roadster steels with 195/50s front and back. That with 30mm lowering springs and the larger rear anti-roll bar worked really well. On a 450 though - 451s are different.

Comment

Going by what you said about putting the rear wheel on the front I'm thinking "what's the purpose of having the front tyres 155 as standard?

I don't know what the width of the rims are. I haven't bought a 451 yet. But I know that I want some wide boots on them at least 195 rear.

The reason I was enquiring about these rims is that they are the most common on the 451. Ideally I want the wheels you mainly see on the pulse, they look great and I know they can take width.

Comment

The 12 spoke wheels you're looking at are:-
              4.5" wide on the front fitted with 155/60/15 tyres.
              5.5" wide on the back fitted with 175/55/15 tyres.
              The different profiles are so the tyres roughly the same diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by GrahamMiles View Post
                Going by what you said about putting the rear wheel on the front I'm thinking
                Tyres not wheels. Front and rear wheels are not interchangible on a 450. And looking at MrT's info, they aren't on 451s either.

"what's the purpose of having the front tyres 155 as standard?
                To promote understeer (rather than oversteer on a car with a rearward weight bias). Smart playing it safe.

I don't know what the width of the rims are. I haven't bought a 451 yet. But I know that I want some wide boots on them at least 195 rear.

The reason I was enquiring about these rims is that they are the most common on the 451. Ideally I want the wheels you mainly see on the pulse, they look great and I know they can take width.
                Looking at Evil's site - my Jetlines would have been 4'' front and 5.5'' rear and the front original fitment tyre was 145/65. !75/55 and 195/50 front and rear worked for me.
                Roadster steels are 5'' and 6'' front and rear. 5'' is the minimum for a 195/50.

Comment

I read the posts you guys have wrote... But I dunno... It's like them 12 spoke wheels can't take 175 fr 195 rear.

I showed my girlfriend this car and she loves it looks wise, but to me there is some safety issues in regards to getting this on an open road, it's tall and will really catch the wind from the side ... So to me I want as much rubber on the road as possible. She's about 13 stone in weight I can get her up to 13 and a half stone no prob... I'm 15 cant get heavier no matter what. I really don't want 155 front 175 rear... At the very least I want 195 rear but preferably 205 rear.

Do you see where I'm cumming from here?

Comment

The initial move I made with my 450 from 145 and 175 front and rear to 175 and 195 front and rear made a big improvement in crosswind stability.
                    Strictly speaking 175 and 195 front and rear are too wide for the wheels you intend using but you have to offset the theoretical risk of a tyre coming off the rim (never happened to me on a narrower front rim and I drove it hard) against the risk of crosswind instability on the skinny tyres. Your call but I'd go wider all day every day.
                    Forget 205 on that size of rear rim. Far too wide and chances are any tyre fitter would refuse to fit them - they are getting very particular about correct fitment sizes these days.

My comments re crosswind stability relate to the earlier 450. I've never driven a 451 but I believe it is slightly better in crosswinds than the 450.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X