Test Drive. A quality car.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test Drive. A quality car.

The new ForTwo came on the market a bit later than the ForFour, coming from a different production line in a different factory. The ForFour is made by Renault, and the ForTwo at the Smart plant in Hambach.

The looks of the new car are certainly emotive, and challenging for any designer to take on the mantle, against expectations from fans. It is a quality car. The front and back wheels are now the same size, but with different size tyres; it's not a cute look any more, but you feel the benefit in the ride. I think the original Smart was fun to drive with all it's crudity. I loved it. And then the Smart became all grownup and normal. Sigh. But now I feel some of the fun is back with a ride that is bright and sparky.

As I understand it so far. You feel the benefit of the turbo most with a manual box, spending longer time within each gear. The non turbo goes best with the dual clutch auto, because you always have a gear to play with, choice of 6, there's always a gear for something. I never understood past motoring reviews about the Smart gearbox, because like in any normal car, I always lift off the accelerator when I change gear. It’s not a comedy car from the 1970’s unless you drive it like one -----> Top Gear & Co. The turbo uses more fuel round town, so auto box is best there with plenty of gear choice, no gap between the gears, press down on the accelerator and go.

It’s a fun car again. Wait until you try the turning circle.

I disagree, I've got the turbo DCT fortwo and I think THAT'S the best combo

Comment

• 10:45PM
      10:45PM commented
      Editing a comment
      No,Turbo with a auto box, and manual with a NA

• SmarterAlex
      SmarterAlex commented
      Editing a comment
      You don't really feel the turbo with the auto box. Pointless having it.

• SmarterAlex
      SmarterAlex commented
      Editing a comment
      The 6 gear auto helps you get the best out of the non turbo. Can't see any purpose to the manual with the non turbo.

Turbo DCT forFOUR is way better.....lol
    Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

020 328 REMAP (02032873627)
    STAR diagnostics. Remapping. Dyno. Key coding
    TAN codes. SCN codes. Body shop. Trimming. Crash repairs

Comment

Originally posted by Big Performance View Post
      Turbo DCT forFOUR is way better.....lol
      Ughhh , I've just handed a forfour manual NA, .....what's with all that space in the back !! , it's like driving an estate lol

Comment

The front and back wheel's are now the same size, but with different tyre sizes
        How do you mean "now" ???

Comment

• SmarterAlex
          SmarterAlex commented
          Editing a comment
          In the present.

• SmarterAlex
          SmarterAlex commented
          Editing a comment
          What are - wheel's [sic]?

• SmarterAlex
          SmarterAlex commented
          Editing a comment
          Have a look next time with your car.

You most definitely do feel the turbo with the auto box, Please !...I've got 6K miles behind me on the turbo DCT ...

Comment

Originally posted by SmarterAlex View Post
          The front and back wheels are now the same size, but with different size tyres
          See , you're clearly wrong in this statement

Originally posted by Passion&Prime
          5.0 J × 15//165/65 R 15;
          5.5 J × 15//185/60 R 15
          Originally posted by Proxy&Edition1
          6.0 J × 16//185/50 R 16;
          6.5 J × 16//205/45 R 16
          Source http://tools.mercedes-benz.co.uk/cur...wo.pdf?ver=1.1

Sorry it's took me so long to come back on this , but mostly cos I couldn't be bothered to disprove it

Comment

Biggest design flaw with the UK RHD manual box, is that you cannot put your left foot to the left of the clutch pedal as it hits the gearstick housings plastic wall, if you have size 10 shoes (like me) or above. You have instead to tuck your foot under the clutch pedal, which is a pathetic and tiresome way to drive.

On the European car LHD there is room for a foot rest to the left of the clutch pedal, for your foot.

Only option to avoid this is buy the auto, or buy the manual but hack a large piece of plastic out the side of the gearstick housing, and hope there is no structural steel behind it

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X