Key removal whilst in neutral

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key removal whilst in neutral

I have just bought a new 453 Premium Plus to go inside my Motorhome. Unfortunately, it looks like I should have ordered a manual rather than auto and this could be an expensive mistake if no one can help.

As the car is pulled into the Motorhome by a winch with no access to the doors once it's inside. I need to have it in neutral to allow it to be winched. However, when in neutral the car does not release the key. This is not an issue as its locked in the Motorhome. The issue is without removing the key the car remains live and does not shutdown meaning the battery drains.

Only way to resolve would be to disconnect the battery if I cannot find a solution.

Can anyone help please. Any advise would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Stewartwebr View Post
    Only way to resolve would be to disconnect the battery if I cannot find a solution.

Or run a lead from the motorhome to the car when in motion to keep the battery charged?

Comment

You have access from the boot. Use your cane to depress brake pedal to get transmission in gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post

Or run a lead from the motorhome to the car when in motion to keep the battery charged?

Apologies, I misread the original post.
        Could a castored dolly be placed under the rear wheels to enable the car to be slid into the MH with the car all locked, in reverse gear and with handbrake on?

Comment

Or, simpler still, modify the lock to enable key removal when in neutral - as is possible on a 450.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I have fitted an isolator onto the neutral of the battery. Once the car is in neutral I leave the key in (no choice as locked in the barrel) activate the isolator switch to stop battery drain then pull it into the Motorhome.

Was very pleasantly suprised to find the clocks reset themselves when the battery is switched back on.

Thank you for your help

Comment

Can the process of selecting reverse (to enable key removal) not be enacted but actual selection avoided by failing to have a foot on the brake pedal during moving the gear lever?
              That's how it is with a 450 and the key can be removed with the lever locked in reverse but the gearbox still in neutral.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X