exhaust manifold for 451

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust manifold for 451

Hi everyone Im looking for some help. I have bought a smart for 2 pure 2005 450 45kw coupe and done some jobs on it and the last job is to replace the exhaust manifold as it is cracked. I thought this would be simple. I found a supplier in Germany typed in my car details in the one that looked like mine to be told it wont fit. I have now taken it off the car to find out that its a 451 which would mean it has had a new engine but I dont know how to find out what manifold i need as i dont have any information about the engine. All i know is that it has a flat bottom rather than a wavy one. Can anyone help?

Helen

You have a late model 450 700cc car. Get the latest updated (straight edge I think - check Evilution and or FQ101) manifold.
    Try smart / MB dealer for price. With VIN and reg# they will identify correct part.

Comment

How do i know its a 450 and if it is how do i know which manifold to get as the vin on the car leads me to a 450 45kw manifold but what if they put in a different engine? I have tried that and was told the part but now that its off and there was a discrepancy with the mileage which looks like the engine may have been changed which would explain the difference in mileage. Also it has yellow marks on it which suggests it has come from a wreckers. Could they have put a different engine in the car from the original that the vin number suggests?

Thanks

Helen

Comment

Thanks for responding but how do i know that the engine thats in it is the same as the vin number as there was a discrepancy with the mileage which suggests a different engine and yellow paint marks on it like it came from a wreckers. Could they have put a different engine in that doesnt correspond with the vin number. I only seem to be able to find the part in germany and cant talk to anyone only by message and am unsure whether a manifold is enought or whether the turbo charger should be replaced as well?

Helen

Comment

Originally posted by helenhanson View Post
          How do i know its a 450 and if it is how do i know which manifold to get as the vin on the car leads me to a 450 45kw manifold but what if they put in a different engine? I have tried that and was told the part but now that its off and there was a discrepancy with the mileage which looks like the engine may have been changed which would explain the difference in mileage. Also it has yellow marks on it which suggests it has come from a wreckers. Could they have put a different engine in the car from the original that the vin number suggests?

Thanks

Helen

It's a 450 if it was manufactured in 2005. You may have a different engine but not engine type. IIRC (check Evilution and or FQ101 sites) the change in manifolds coincided with the change from 600 to 700cc engine and the two engines despite their similarities are not interchangeable due to the supporting electronics (all this from memory, research on the aforementioned sites to confirm).
          Chassis VIN will suffice for smart/MB dealer to identify correct part and part number (if car retains correct (700cc) engine type).
          451 is later (2007 onwards) and used different (Mitsubishi) engine and different (5 speed) gearbox - so nothing there is interchangeable with a 450.
          453 (the section in which you've posted) is the latest model with Renault engines.

It is (I think) possible that a 600cc engine has been installed in yours with the 700cc gearbox and maybe some cross polination of parts to let it run from the ECU as per a 700cc. Or, that a 600cc has been installed with its gearbox and ECU - which may account for mileage discrepancy.
          I think you need to take your engine number to a smart/MB dealer and get them to check if 600 or 700cc and which manifold is appropriate. Also, check (Evilution and or FQ101 sites) is the later (straight edge) manifold can be made to fit the 600cc (if you find you have a 600cc engine). I think it can - but not certain.

Comment

Originally posted by helenhanson View Post
            Thanks for responding but how do i know that the engine thats in it is the same as the vin number as there was a discrepancy with the mileage which suggests a different engine and yellow paint marks on it like it came from a wreckers. Could they have put a different engine in that doesnt correspond with the vin number. I only seem to be able to find the part in germany and cant talk to anyone only by message and am unsure whether a manifold is enought or whether the turbo charger should be replaced as well?

Helen

The manifold has the turbocharger turbine housing integral to it and I think when bought new includes the turbocharger (hence pricey but smart/MB dealers were at one point offering reconditioned at lower price). A turbocharger 'cartridge' (the moving parts) can be bought separately online (circa £100) but I don't think a manifold is available new separately. I could be wrong re the availibility but definitely the manifold is part of the turbocharger.

Comment

Here is one fitting a 0.7 Smart 450: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-for...oAAOSwhE9bdxxl

Be quick and buy before someone else.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X