Steering Rattle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Rattle

Recently i have developed a kind of rattle/vibration which feels like it is coming through the steering wheel/column when i am slowing down usually over ruffer tarmac surfaces. Has anyone else had a similar kind of problem as have mentioned it to my local dealer who say it is normal!!?? I also get a clunk/knock when turning over bumpy ground or uneven surfaces?
    Are there any issues with steering racks etc or suspension??
    thanks

i am sure i read on the orange site a while ago that it was the power steering that causes the problem??

Comment

HI chappers - I have got the same - sounds like a loose 'thing' in the steering orsuspension set up. Mine has been back for this to be looked at but I was told all is OK . I am going to mention at again at its 1st service in the next month or so !

Hopefully I wont see a wheel fall off etc , but hey - if I do I can at least i can reject the car & they really couldn't complain about the reason !

Comment

re

thanks people but i am sure that it can't be that hard to fix!!! anyone know how the dash comes apart so i can investigate the noise further??

Comment

Originally posted by chappers849
          thanks people but i am sure that it can't be that hard to fix!!! anyone know how the dash comes apart so i can investigate the noise further??
          Get your self a torx set and let rip !

Comment

don't bother fiddling = invalidating your warranty, it IS a common fault insist they replace the steering rack and if they refuse let them know you are reporting the matter to milton keynes- if you have no luck with bristol goto poole they did mine there, Baker012 on thesmartclub has had his rack changed three times

Comment

re

thanks for the info, where did baker get his rack replaced to?

I also got a clunk coming from the rear passenger side when hitting bumps now, any ideas??

thanks

Comment

thanks for the info, where did baker get his rack replaced to?

I also got a clunk coming from the rear passenger side when hitting bumps now, any ideas??

thanks
                yep had that one, they had to replace the whole rear grey trim on mine due to a 'clip' breaking off...?? Now my rear quater pannel rattles at high revs...grrrrrrrr :angry:

i wish Smart could employ good mechanics in all their outlets...

Comment

re

i have checked the grey surround at the back and it seems to be quite solid! I was thinking more of suspension or shock absorber maybe??

Comment

What sort of noise? Is it high or low pitch? I only ask because I noticed a similar noise and tracked it down to the passenger seat jolting in its location pins/runner/catches.

Comment

re

I would say that it is a low pitched noise, but don't think that it is coming from the passenger seat as it even does it when somebody is sat there!??

next lol

Comment

Hi I also experience a metal noise coming from the passenger’s side ... in the beginning I thought it was next to my right ear but after a while I noticed that when the passenger seat was occupied there was no noise. Also there was no noise when the passenger seat was folded probably I need to lubricate the joins of the passenger seat.

Comment

the metal clunk noise can be the seatbelt metal loop that is bolted to pillar rattling, this can be induced or removed by a persons/ the seat belts position, another clunk can be the coolant header bottle knocking/moving.

hope that helps a little

Comment

I also have this clunk noise when going over bumps at very low speeds (<10mph, potholes, cobbles, dropped kerbs etc).

To rectify the probelm, the dealer replaced the front o/s shock absorber although this didn't fix the problem.

I've noticed that the bonnet does not sit snugly against the chassis on one side. It could be the bonnet is clunking down onto the chassis at slow speeds when I go over big bumps. My course of action will be to adjust the 2x rubber 'stops' either side of the bonnet catch to see if I can cure this.

Check your bonnet by pushing down gently on the bonnet at the front, by the lights cluster. If there is travel on one or both sides, I suggest you get smart to adjust (if under warranty) or have a go yourself.

Comment

re

i have checked the bonnet lid and seems ok, will have to check the seatbelt later!!
                              Anything else it could be as is beginning to drive me mad!!!

I have cured one noise though :teeth: if you rub vasoline along the back edge and front edge of the roof rubbers then it cures alot of the noises. It is almost silent, only problem being that the vasoline after a week or so dries up and you have to re-apply. Can anyone suggest another type of grease i could use that will stay sticky etc and not dry out??

thanks

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X