Windscreen wiper problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen wiper problems

Hi, wondering if anyone can help or offer some advice for a problem with my roadster.

I've had the common intermittent windscreen wiper fault on a number of occasions over the last few months. When it happens they work for a couple of minutes, then stop for 30 seconds or so, work then stop, work then stop, etc. I know it is nothing to do with a wet SAM unit because I had that issue a couple of years ago, managed to dry it out, sealed up the wiper tray, and everything has been good since......... Until now.

Last Friday morning after finishing a night shift I went to clean my windscreen, and the washers worked, but the wipers did not move. After a couple of attempts it was clear they were dead! I guessed the culprit was probably the water ingress that had been casing the intermittent fault I mentioned, so I took the motor apart to clean it out. It was quite damp and corroded inside, but it did clean up quite well. I then left it in the airing cupboard to properly dry out.

Meantime I tested the electrical connections in the car. The fuse is fine because the washers are working, and they use the same fuse. And when I checked the voltage of the connector with a meter everything seemed correct, 12 volts.

Anyway, I managed to source a 2nd hand Fourtwo motor from a scrapyard in the hope I might be able to make it work despite it being slightly different design. However, upon plugging the Fourtwo motor into my roadster, it doesn't work either?

Am I being stupid in assuming that a Fortwo motor might have actually worked when connected to a roadster?

And if indeed it should have worked, does this mean the Fortwo motor is also a dud, or does it mean I have a bigger problems somewhere with my electrics?

I am obviously quite confused, so any help or advice would be gratefully recieved.

Re: Windscreen wiper problems

Fortwo and roadster motors are different as far as I am aware.

Comment

Thanks,

I guessed it was probably doomed to fail, but for what it cost me at the scrapyard it was worth the gamble.

Comment

A bit far out but there might be a bad connection somewhere that does not show when You measure voltige but when You put a load on it there is very little current (Ampere). I have had an issue like that on an other car. it took me ages to understand.

Jörgen

Comment

Have you tested the stalk to SAM functionality?

Have you tested the original motor on the bench?

Comment

I think you just need to bite the bullet and get a new motor. If there is 12v supply going to to the motor connections then it would suggest the SAM is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by madDan View Post
              Have you tested the original motor on the bench?
              :iagree:

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys.

I ended up spending £130 and buying a brand new wiper motor, which I fitted myself last Friday.

For the last 5 days everything was working perfectly, then this morning it started playing up again. With this lovely weather recently the new wiper motor hadn't been used a lot, but I did test it pretty thoroughly after I fitted it, and I had used it to clear the windscreen on a couple of occasions.

I noticed that after the last wipe the blades had stopped about an inch away from their normal position when not in use. I turned the ignition on and flicked the stalk for the wipers, but got nothing. After about 10 seconds with the stalk set to continuous, the wipers moved across the screen once, then returned to their normal position. Since then they have once again stopped working completely.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this? It hasn't rained in the last week, so moisture isn't a suspect, and besides the motor is brand new. I really don't understand this? Could it be a loose electrical connection somewhere?

Any help gratefully received

Comment

Bit confused you bought a new wiper motor or a new wiper assembly ie motor and linkages?

Comment

Sorry, I bought a new wiper assembly, motor and linkage.

Which until today worked perfectly?......

Comment

So it's looking like either faulty wiper stalk.... or dare I say it..... SAM.

Comment

I guess that is the only thing I haven't really looked into. However, the washer motor still works perfectly, and that is on the same stalk?.... Or is it possible for one part of the stalk to fail and another to keep working?

Comment

Could be the cabling to.

The wiper at the lowest point outputs a park signal (not sure if high or low) when the wiperstalk is set to off the wiper carries on driving until it knows it is at park, then SAM removes the output to the external wiper realy so the motor stops.

It is possible that you put the wiper arms on in the wrong position.

Remove the wiper arms, set the wipers to full on, then turn them off, when they stop they will be in the park position. Now fix the wiper arms in place securely.

That may sort that issue out.

The wipers go to intermittant when on and car is not moving, you aren't getting confused with that are you? consult the owner manual for guide to wipers.

Comment

Could low battery voltage be the culprit?

Comment

I think it is beginning to sound like the stalk!

Jörgen

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X