No announcement yet.

Roadster coupe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry should of made it more clear. do either of the 450 model leak through ?

Comment

The Coupe 450 leaks as per my earlier post - but really it's nothing to speak of. Certainly not enough to put anyone off buying one.
      Cabrios I don't know. They don't have Roadster's rep, for sure, but at a guess, like any other soft top they aren't as water tight as the fixed head equivalent. Having the roof bars for the roof and glass to seal against must help though.Others will advise.

Comment

cool Thankyou all for your advise so far.

Comment

Do 450's leak as bad as the Roadster? No.

Do 450's suffer wet SAM units? Yes.
          Maybe not in such prolific numbers - but the windscreen leak sends water precariously close to the SAM unit, and the battery tray has a penchant of collecting water from wherever the car is leaking - the battery tray is directly beneath the SAM - when the conditions are right this water evaporates into the cabin and then condenses on anything cold/metal constructed - such as the internals of the SAM.

But as has been said the Roadster SAM-killer leak is easily solved by sealing up the wiper tray.

e..g My Roadster is 11 years old. It has sat outside uncovered it's entire life. It had the wiper tray sealed up when I first bought it (in Feb 2006) - and it is still running it's original SAM as a result.

It's 40 min job to seal up the wiper tray - and costs £5 for the tube of sealant. It really shouldn't be a reason not to buy a Roadster.

Comment

Originally posted by 137699 View Post
            Do 450's leak as bad as the Roadster? No.

Do 450's suffer wet SAM units? Yes.
            Maybe not in such prolific numbers - but the windscreen leak sends water precariously close to the SAM unit,
            What windscreen leak? I've been on this and another smart forum since 2008 and can barely recall any windscreen leaks.

Originally posted by 137699 View Post
            and the battery tray has a penchant of collecting water from wherever the car is leaking - the battery tray is directly beneath the SAM - when the conditions are right this water evaporates into the cabin and then condenses on anything cold/metal constructed - such as the internals of the SAM.
            '' when the conditions are right''
            What conditions? Windows left open overnight in a torrential downpour?
            Mine has never been garaged in 9 years. Sealed the rear windows, occasionally silicon the door seals and the interior is as dry as a nun's crotch. 450s are a doddle to keep dry. It's the Roadster that should have had a bilge pump on the options list.

Comment

We have had 3x 450s and all have leaked from the windscreen. The seal on the glass is a known weak spot - you see drips over the tridiion at the base of the screen. I don't know why you're getting arsey with me - I'm not suggesting that 450 is a heavy leaker - but they can & do leak As for the conditions - reread my post. Evaporation & condensation. From water collected in the battery tray. It's rare - far rarer than roadster SAM failure but if you search long enough (yes I've been on these forums for close to 10'years too) you will find some stories of failed SAMs in 450s due to water ingress. Not really sure why you've taken such umbrage to this. I'm only trying to give the OP a fair reflection of the two cars. As you say leaks can be fixed in the 450 - so can they be fixed in the roadster. There are just more potential leak spots to know about.

Comment

i understand what you are both saying, and appreciate everyones input its helping me understand these little cars abit more. 137699....does your coupe have a soft top or hard top removable roof? do u occasionally re seal your roadster coupe?

Comment

Seal the wiper motor bucket (to protect the Sam from leaks) & all the other leaks you may* get are relatively minor & easy to sort. You can also get a car cover if she's kept outside. Love my Roadie, a fortwo's totally different kind/type of car. Just buy a good (dry) one (follow the above) & you'll be fine.

Comment

I have both soft & hard tops for my roadster - tbh I only generally use the soft too - because the car is dry with the soft top in place but leaks a little from the rear with the hard top. It is the 3rd hard too i have owned - the first two leaked like seives - from the rear and the join between the panels - this one is the best I have had - I only bought it because it was cheap and I was having issue with the soft top mechanism so it was a simple solution until I can get the roof seen to.

Comment

cool nice one!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X