Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anodise corroded roadster coupe rear boot hinge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anodise corroded roadster coupe rear boot hinge?

My roady's suffering the classic boot hinge blistering, having survived about 30k miles since a standard paint job cleared the problem. Looks like powder coating is the solution of choice, but how about anodising?

Even a powder coat would fall off eventually, whereas I think an anodised surface lasts a looooong time (pretty much forever, no?). I guess the finish could look a bit cheap as my car's all black and black-anodised parts have that "carabiner" sheen to them, but once it's anodised I can paint and re-paint it to my heart's content and it shouldn't ever blister, right?

No idea how much anodising costs relative to powder coating, but if it's a more permanent fix, I'd be happy to pay a bit extra.

Any thoughts?

I recommend rustbuster two pack epoxy 121.

www.rust.co.uk/buy-epoxy-mastic/p404984/
    Two coats and those hinges will outlast you. Hammerite does not even last one season.

Comment

Anodizing is something you can do at home with not very much. Maybe have a go.

Comment

| had a set powdercoated when I got my wheels refurbed

Comment

Powdercoating aluminium isn't as straight forward as powder coating other metals. Most powdercoaters just want things coated and out the door so to save time and money, they rarely prep aluminium properly to stop the growth of the oxide layer which causes the powder coat, paint and/or lacquer to lift, bubble and crack as seen on the boot hinges and Brabus alloys.

Comment

Thanks Tolsen, that epoxy mastic is a great find, I'd given up on trying to find something that does what Hammerite is supposed to do long ago! My experience with pigmented epoxies, however, is that they're so viscous, they leave the part looking like it has been enameled, so I'll keep trying to anodise these hinges and save this knowledge for another time.

Evil, home anodosing sounds very interesting, especially since I may be able to do it at a similar cost to 1L of epoxy paint. Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a go and report back with a process and some photos.

Comment

Two pack epoxy can be sprayed but looks great when applied by brush. I have already used up 1.5 litres of the stuff sorting out my rust bucket Smart Cabrio. 42 weld repairs. I have kept the cut out rust holes. Might frame them one fine day and donate my rust art to Tate Modern.

Comment

Most backstreet powder coaters don't have a clue to preparation for coating aluminium. If you take them to a proper accredited Akzno Nobel powder coater they will actually put a warranty on the coating and do a decent job! The pre-treatment should be vapour degreasing or shotblasting or a zinc phosphate wash & undercoat.
                Most backstreet powder coaters will rub down with sand paper wipe over with gunwash and fire through the oven! Then its gonna shell off very soon!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X